Wringing out the 9mm SP101 some more

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
20230718_134416.jpg

I have put just about 1,000 rounds through this 9mm SP101 since I got it , and today figured I'd bite the bullet and try some Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P along with some 140 grain S&B and the tried and true 115 gr Winchester Target.

20230718_135424.jpg

I put an older Gemini? or Dawson patridge front sight on that I had laying around, and I hit the serrated flat part with a Bronze brush to knock the matte finish off. I like it a little bright to pick some light up. It was too dark and was easy to lose .

20230718_140728.jpg

20 rounds of Gold Dot at 7 yards, they hit a little low, the front sight is regulated for heavier bullets like 147's. I took a knee for the last 5 and the POI dropped. Weird but snubs can be quirky. The Gold Dots were definitely spicy. I'd like to try some Buffalo Bore 147 gr +P+ in this. It was painful blowing about $40 for 25 rounds but I have to make sure the gun doesn't bind up with +P. Next is +P+ when I can find somewhere that has them.

20230718_133858.jpg

S&B 140gr subsonic hit more or less to POA at 7 yards. I tried Federal 147 gr yesterday with similar results. If I shoot one handed , the POI moves up a little. I don't stress pinpoint accuracy with snubs. I know there are people who shoot 2" at 50 yards with SP101s but for realistic , real world use , for me, I shoot from 0-15 and more so at about 5.

I also tend to sometimes "dip" the muzzle with snubs so there's also that. I'll take what I've been printing so far. I didn't shoot much past 10 today, I worked on reloading with moon clips and I may use this in one of my clubs "pocket pistol/ snub revolver" practical handgun matches

I did a lot of "holster retention " shooting today, also point shooting. Punching out one handed with no use of sights, I was able to score easy hits at 5-7 yards. This is a fightin' gun not a 25 yard Bullseye revolver.

The gun has a hinky chamber that doesn't like slow DA or SA, it has a gag. I've been polishing that ratchet tooth with Mother's and it's been improving. In regular DA it works fine. I don't want to send it back to Ruger and risk it coming back all Munged up in 3 months. I haven't sent a new Ruger back for service in a few years but the Redhawk .45 ACP I sent back for not working right with factory moon clips didn't seem to have anything done to it, so I'll keep massaging this 9mm SP myself. So far so good

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Thanks for the range report. I always wondered how the 9mm SP101 would do when handloaded with 158 grain SWCHPs (a'la the bullet used in the "Treasury Load") that were sized down to .356". 😉

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the range report. I always wondered how the 9mm SP101 would do when handloaded with 158 grain SWCHPs (a'la the bullet used in the "Treasury Load") that were sized down to .356". 😉
My friend made me .45 ACPs loaded with .45 LC lead bullets for my .45 ACP Redhawk, but they didn't shoot any better than standard .45 ACP

I feel like hot 147 gr 9 is the ticket in these 9mm SP101s

Latest posts