Winchester steel case 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
While scrounging brass from the gun club range, I came across a few of these Winchester steel cases. Is Winchester producing this ammo, or are they having it made in an East European country?

Enigma

Hunter
At the price that Midway is getting for it, that looks like a money-losing proposition. PSA routinely sells brass cased 9mm ammo for less money.

Once upon a time, I tried some of the steel cased 9mm. To put it mildly, it was awful. I burned through quite a bit of it getting a "refinished" P89 to run consistently and sold the rest to a young guy whose only criteria was buying the cheapest ammo he could find. For some unknown reason his pistol choked on the ammo constantly and he had lots of split/ruptured cases with debris flying out the ejection port. I'll shoot aluminum cased ammo but no more steel cased 9mm for me.
Spend an additional $10-15 per thousand and get the low end brass cased stuff.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Once upon a time, I tried some of the steel cased 9mm. To put it mildly, it was awful. I burned through quite a bit of it getting a "refinished" P89 to run consistently

I've shot several hundred rounds of Wolf and Tulammo steel-cased 9mm through my P95, Glock 19, Bersa BP9CC, and Ruger PC9 (original) without a hitch. At under $7/box, it makes great range ammo. And I don't have to hunt for my brass!

mikld

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
While scrounging brass from the gun club range, I came across a few of these Winchester steel cases. Is Winchester producing this ammo, or are they having it made in an East European country?
Anybody have an answer?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
mikld said:
toysoldier said:
Anybody have an answer?

Well, the link I provided in the first response has Midway listing this ammo as made in USA. Assuming that they have not changed suppliers, then it is not East European. Of course, Winchester may be contracting another US manufacturer to produce it for them and label it as Winchester. Not sure how likely that is.

At the price point Midway has it, I would go with a brass cased product for less money. I don't particularly like steel, but have no issue using it, if the price is right.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The WW steel cased ammo is made by WW in their own factory. It's loaded with the same bullet, powder, and primer that they use in their 115 grain white box ammo. It's been on the market about 3 years and I use it for training and qualifying when I can't or don't want look for the brass. It runs perfectly in my P226 and SCCY. At one time I was able to acquire it for about 15 cents a round in 750 round cases. I reload 9mm, of course, but @ 12 cents a round to reload plus my time, which is limited, this steel cased ammo works for me. Bob! 8)

10mm

Single-Sixer
My experience with WW steel case ammo was not good. Yes it went bang every time and hit the target, but they were a pain to load into my mags. Springfield mags and Colt style AR mags. The steel cases seem to have a rough coating or something on them. Almost a rusty powder, made my hands dirty and I just could not get a mag loaded to capacity. The steel cases seemed to not "slide" well against the metal in the mags. I purchased these for those occasions where i don't want to police brass. Out of 500 rounds I've gone thru about 350 and just believe the small savings just isn't worth the hassle. YMMV
Regards,
10mm

rangerbob

Buckeye
10mm, I don't know for sure, but I think that dark coating is some sort of graphite lube to ensure the cases load and eject with ease. It does get all over one's hands. Bob! :wink: