Winchester .375 Lever Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
This morning I was in my local pawnshop and inspected a beautiful Winchester .375, with side scope mount (no scope,) 20" barrel. Rifle is very clean, very few noticeable marks on wood or metal. Bluing rub mark on each side of the forward barrel ring, and small similar mark at forend of tube magazine. As if they are from scabbard or soft case.

My other high powers are Ruger M77 .308 and Remington U.S. Rifle M1917, Cal .30 (.30-06.)

They're asking about $650. What do ya think? Should I continue holding out for a 3-screw .357 Blackhawk or jump on this?

wwb

Hunter
Are we talkin' about a Model 70 in .375 H&H here?

Ooops.... edit.

Just noticed the "tube Magazine". so I guess it must be a '94 in .375 Winchester. Your choice, but I wouldn't pay that much for ANY post 1964 Winchester '94.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Seems high to me. Even the post 64s are commanding near pre 64 prices in this area (NYS) but it still seems probably 150. or so high. Side mount scope doesnt do anything for it. They are a open sight (or aperture) gun.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Price is high average if you check the auction prices. They are very hard to come by. I have two and they are great guns. They are a great 100 yard and under thumper. The two I have are the only ones I have ever seen. I would put 600 cash on the counter and see what happens.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Side scope mount... 20" barrel..... I was assuming Hugh was talking about a Winchester lever gun chambered for .375 Winchester..... 8)

Those are kinda hard to come by. If its what I think it is, thats a fair price for one!! I'm with Mike7mm08.... put 6 Franklins on the counter and see what happens. ;)

Hugh

Buckeye
Yep, Winchester 94 .375 Big Bore. That side mount scope mount would come right off and go into a drawer in my case. The pull is just the right length for me, and the iron sights are the easiest for me to acquire than I've seen in a very long time. I first started seeing this shooter advertised in the late 1970's and always kinda wanted one; just didn't see the right cash flow.

I've been doing a lot of net research this morning. Seems like it is a wonderful cartridge that just didn't go anywhere. I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned any place in the lower 48. Looks like ammunition is few and far between, and dern expensive. Reloaders would probably really like this rifle though.

Looks like I'll just continue looking for a lever .44 Magnum, or a "cough" .45-70.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

For that much cash, you could easily get a Marlin in 45-70, or a used Ruger number one also in 45-70. The 45-70 is much more useful, and also carries a unique cool factor when shooting. The marlin is a stronger weapon, and much easier to clean from the breach.

See what it is like to have the sales person clean the winchester from the breach !!!!!

Mike 8)

I have owned a BigBore 94, Ruger #3, and a Marlin Model 375. Personally, I would not pay $650 for a BigBore, unless it was NIB. In my neck of the woods they are commonly available in the $500-$550 range used.

Further, I would much rather have the Marlin, which is the only 375 I currently own.....JMO.

Dave

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The 375 XTR top eject is perhaps the most-desireable variant (unless you've got a line on the 444 non-ported straight-grip), and the condition, if truly 95%+, should fetch more than the $650 asking price you call out. I've seen near-new examples sell quickly on Paco's Leverguns board at well-above $700. Condition is everything. But at $600-650, I'd grab it for a shooter and head into the swamps looking for fat bucks anyday.

Watch out for that Big-Bore 94 addiction... :shock:

737tdi

Hunter
Hugh: I have a Win. 94 XTR in .375 and if I were going to sell it I would not take less then $650. I've only put 15 to 20 rounds through it and I got it new on a very good trade of a computer system in the mid 80's..

That computer has long since died and gone to electronics heaven and I still own this beauty. JMO.

A pic. of the .375, my wifes 94 30/30 and my 92 in .480 Ruger.

100_0324.jpg

Karl

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
I was just involved in the sale of a pair of these, one 375 BB, one 356 Win. One NIB, other 98+ %, and a shoebox full of factory loads. Oh yeah, and a Lyman reciever sight too. Went for $600, I dropped out at 5. Great guns, great calibers, but very limited market.

Olevern

Bearcat
I've got one over on Paco's leverguns site listed for $575.00 and no bites yet. Just reduced it to $525.00
Olevern

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Regardless of price, make sure the wood to metal fit is up to your personal standards and the action doesn't rattle too much. Also look to make sure the lever doesn't pull itself down out of battery when the rifle is being carried due to a sloppy action. Winchester turned out alot of 94's with absolutely terrible fit and finish after 1964.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Same "limited" market as it was when offered brand new,which for me is hard to understand.

.375 Big Bore never really set well for many reasons,likely mostly timming.

Great cartridge-I had a .375 Win Big Bore Ruger No.3

20" Bbl on the order of a Thumper version Trapper.

flat sided certain trim 94 version has not been repeated by others.

Would be tempted to buy it,don't look back if this is your "niche".
Would not sell my Trapper for $1000

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Same "limited" market as it was when offered brand new,which for me is hard to understand.

.375 Big Bore never really set well for many reasons,likely mostly timming.

Great cartridge-I hade a Ruger No. 3 in Big Bore.

20" Bbl on the order of a Thumper version Trapper.

flat sided certain trim 94 version has not been repeated by others.

Would be tempted to buy it,don't look back if this is your "niche".
Would not sell my Trapper for $1000

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Pawn Shop? Low Ball an offer, one NIB sold for $750 on 24hourcampfire not too long ago. Would be a nice one to own if you can get a deal on it.

737tdi

Hunter
I.M.O., if it's an XTR it will have beautiful great fitting wood and beautiful blue. Granted I've only seen one and I have it, but I would expect the same if from the same manufacturer (which they are).

I've never really seen what I could do with it because I realized at the time it might be worth something in great condition.

Mine has the best finish on it I've ever seen on a non special edition 94. Still looks like the day I traded for it. I think mines more for a collector then a hog hunter to be honest, no scratches or wear marks. It is what it is.

It's not for sale anyway. When I'm 102 (1894 becomes 200) years old or so it will be worth a helluvalot more. LOL.

Karl

zac0419

Single-Sixer
I say offer him 550-600 and see what happens. I love mine. It can easily be a 200 yd shooter . It has enough thump to reach out, it's all up to the shooter. For me a peep sight made all the difference in the world.

My XTR has some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a lever.

P1010974.jpg