Why I like my mag disconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I hear a lot of opinions on the mag disconnect. Here is mine.

I always clear and lock back the slide on my weapon before handing it over to another person, unless we are at the range and ready to fire. So for this reason, it is a non issue.

What is an issue for me is clearing my weapon, particularly at home. By design, the manual safety must be off to rack the slide to clear the chamber. When I drop the mag prior to clearing, in effect, I now have the safety on. This is a big safety plus for me. Yes, I am VERY careful to keep my finger off the trigger when handling/clearing my weapon. Still, stuff happens. Clearing weapons is dangerous enough that the military uses clearing barrels to help prevent accidents.

Not preaching here, or trying to sway a dyed in the wool mag disconnect hater, just throwing out my thinking on the subject.

I don't see a need for one on my range weapon, as I never unload the weapon. It only gets loaded at the range, then fired until empty. My CC weapon gets unloaded from time to time.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I don't have a problem with the magazine disconnect, or the thumb safety! The odds of me getting into a fast draw contest are pretty nil. I'll take the safety features over what others object to!!

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Cubby said:
I don't have a problem with the magazine disconnect, or the thumb safety! The odds of me getting into a fast draw contest are pretty nil. I'll take the safety features over what others object to!!

I'll agree with you :D
I too prefer the safety features.

Lateck,

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Not sure what gun is being talked about, but I don't mind a mag disconnect on a range toy. As far as a carry gun or home defense gun, the less moving parts that can fail is a plus. I'd also want to be able to fire the round in the chamber if I was changing mags or the magazine release got bumped and the mag dropped out by accident.

As far as thumb safeties go, I prefer them as long as they are like a 1911 safety which is frame mounted, up for safe and down for fire. If it's a slide mounted safety/decocker, they stay off if loaded.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
I agree for a range weapon BUT for a carry or home defence weapon I want to make sure it goes bang when I need it to. on my SR9 I have never had any proublem with the mag disconnect. on my SR40C , I have had nothing but trouble with the mag disconnect and its been back to Ruger 3 times and they never can fix it. so they both have been removed since I want to be 100% sure it fires if and when I need it to protect myself or family. with the mag disconnect removed or installed I still use all the safety rules I learned from day one when loading or unloading or shooting.