Why I don't fly...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flying is MUCH safer than driving on a US highway. Look at it this way; 19 are known dead from this crash. It is the only airplane accident that happened today. Now how many persons will die today in highway accidents worldwide? You do the math. I'll fly anytime. :)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
Flying is MUCH safer than driving on a US highway. Look at it this way; 19 are known dead from this crash. It is the only airplane accident that happened today. Now how many persons will die today in highway accidents worldwide? You do the math. I'll fly anytime. :)
Using that logic, there would be . . no . . cars on the road.
Besides which, how do you get to the airport?

Number9

Blackhawk
The first time for me in the air was back in 1968 on my way to boot camp in San Diego.
I think it was about that time I discovered I had a new phobia called Aviophobia or Aviatophobia... the fear of flying.
After boot camp I was off to school, so I flew back across the country to Memphis for...
would you believe.. Aircraft Structural Maintenance! :mrgreen:
During my service I was able to see many crashes.. thanking the Lord each time that I wasn't on board! I really loved working on aircraft.. and it was easy for me to go from E-1 to E-5 pay grade in only 23 months.

My last flight was from Hawaii to Chattanooga. When I landed in Chattanooga on a cold, rainy day, September 26, 1972.. I said, thank you Lord for a safe flight and I'll never fly again!

Yes, I know flying is safer than most.. it's just not for me! :shock:

Pat-inCO said:
Fox Mike said:
Using that logic, there would be . . no . . cars on the road.
Besides which, how do you get to the airport?
There is no 'logic' involved in the statement, nor am I suggesting not driving. The most dangerous place in the USA is a highway. I drive daily and don't have any fear. Flying is even safer than driving, so why be afraid to do that. Think of how many safe flights occur daily, all over the world, and how many individuals are in those aircraft. Unfortunately 19 individuals lost their lives in one accident. I have absolutely nothing to back it up but would bet that more than that lost their lives in other modes of transportation today. I stand by my statement...flying is the safest mode of transportation.

Number9

Blackhawk
Well.. I have a 100% chance of not getting killed in a plane if I don't fly! :mrgreen:

RugerHound

Hunter
Number9 said:
Well.. I have a 100% chance of not getting killed in a plane if I don't fly! :mrgreen:

Not exactly... You may have a 100% chance of not getting killed IN a plane. However, as long as they're flying overhead you have SOME chance of being killed BY an airplane. Many times the crashing aircraft scoops up some ground casualties along with those on the aircraft.

There are a lot of reasons for not flying... Many of which I use. But today's accident ain't one of 'em. ;)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
wolfsong said:
opos said:
Someone once said "if it 's my day , it's my day"....what if it's the pilot's day?
Then it's your day, too! What a coincidence!

That made me bust out! Kinda like ole Ron White when one engine went out and someone asked how far the other engine will take em..."im guessing all the way to the scene of the crash"!!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Why not just post a "Didja see this crash story?" and let it go.

If it bleeds it leads: Because there is video, the newsrepeaters & simpleton watchers cannot get enough of it. Ooot man, people dying. Sad.

(looked like part of the left stabilizer leading edge missing as it passed over the bridge? Illusion? )

ATR: used to be called the "plow plane" after a couple of corn field crashes in the '90s. The wing is super-critical and could not withstand any icing at all. The US FAA solution? "Only fly in clear weather". :oops:

wizofwas

Buckeye
Fox Mike said:
I stand by my statement...flying is the safest mode of transportation.
Sorry, but not quite true. Yes flying is one of the safest modes of transportation, but not the safest, at least per passenger mile. Since they've put the safety features on elevators, there have been very few, if any deaths on them. Those long people moving belts that I've seen and ridden on a few times are kind of new I think. And I haven't heard of any deaths on them. And how can I forget my favourite mode of transportation, the escalator. IIRC, I read someplace that the escalator is the safest mode of transportation/passenger mile with no fatalities at all. :)

Critch

Single-Sixer
I've unfortunately been witness to two airplane crashes, both military,,it's terrible to see a plane go down,,,,there's nothing you can do...
I've had a few moments on aircraft that really were scary.....two of them were on DC-9s, a plane I've always disliked.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Since I have to be drunk, drugged and unconscious to get on an airplane to begin with I should agree with the OP. But then again I had a number of mixed messages as a child... The positive being that it's never the machine but the operator which stands to reason if a certain unnamed idiot that will remain my brother can safely fly cross country it stands to reason flight is basically safe... The negative is my grandfather's claim there is no such thing as a vehicle that eventually you don't have to get out and push.

Latest posts