When your slide won't go all the way back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

latecomer

Bearcat
Long story short, if you pull the trigger on a Security 9 Compact with the slide and barrel off, the hammer might go down and stick. This being my first pistol I didn't know, I'd recently taken down a Glock and you had to pull that trigger. The same thing happened to me with a Stoeger shotgun, but neither owners manual mentions this. I hope someone is getting a chuckle out of this, because it took me a half hour each time to figure it out. Better than sending them back!!! I practiced taking the Ruger apart 10 times but hadn't studied the position of the hammer so I didn't know which way to pry it back at first and there was no way I'm breaking this the first day I took it to the range. The manual schematic helped. Duh! Learned a basic.

latecomer

Bearcat
Thanks guys. There's a little more to it if you are a beginner like me. The hammer will resist, it takes a couple pounds of force to unstick it. It will rotate up and back on it's "axle" and it will click back into place. Someone with experience could probably replicate this problem and record it safely. I jammed it because I slid my slide back pretty hard on reassembly not noticing the hammer had moved and was in the way. It probably would have flipped back more easily otherwise.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Funny how manuals don't mention this. Did you bring the Stoeger to a smith?

Trigger pulling on a partially disassembled firearm on some is a major pain. On break open smooth bores? No fun. I've re-cocked a couple for friends in gun shops.

latecomer

Bearcat
No, I figured out the Stoeger (edit: and the Ruger on my own) luckily. There was a video on youtube where someone demonstrated (the stoeger). I didn't know it would cause me the angst. My wife's Glock 19, which I cleaned first, was pull trigger- remove slide. A trip to the gunsmith would have been ok just to meet one and get acquainted. Thanks for writing gnappi.

Last edited:

Latest posts