What makes this Blackhawk box so special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
dixie cat said:
Rclark said:
You guys that throw the cardboard away when you get a brand new gun are the reason there are so few of these original cardboard boxes left.
Most people also think that guns are just guns (heck, even the Ruger factory thinks that)
Hey, I resemble that remark :D . My enjoyment is shooting them and hitting what I aim at. That's what Ruger designed them for :) . Guns belong in a holster and used :) . That said, I do understand the obsession of collecting (guns/boxes, coins, paintings, baseball cards) somewhat. I mean, why do I have 'several' .45 Colt revolvers when one would do? :p We each enjoy guns in different ways!

I see "collectors" collecting guns they can't and won't shoot. what good are they? it's like having a car you can't drive. or knives you can't sharpen and use. or building a house and not live in it. what good are they? you are just going to die and leave this earth and someone else will use them. I am a user collector, I use what I collect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You invest in stocks, cash, gold, your house....I invest in guns. Same difference through different eyes.
Chet15

Rclark

Hunter
Yep I agree. We all don't have to march to the same drum to enjoy our hobby/investment/sport here in America. A good thing!

jack black

Blackhawk
I had 9 green wreath bxs from my fathers estate let a few go a few years ago and they went for well over 2,000 each. Decided to keep the rest for the children .

chet15

Hawkeye
dixie cat said:
I see "collectors" collecting guns they can't and won't shoot. what good are they? it's like having a car you can't drive. or knives you can't sharpen and use. or building a house and not live in it. what good are they? you are just going to die and leave this earth and someone else will use them. I am a user collector, I use what I collect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I know a lot of people who have rental houses they will never live in.
And whether you think you are a gun collector or not, if you have more than one you are a collector, because you can't shoot more than one at a time.... :)
Wish Ruger would think the same way....because if they pushed a "collector" market for their guns, they would take more guns off the current market...yes, they aren't in the business to sell used guns, but if there were less guns in the marketplace, they would need to make more new guns to replace them.
Makes sense to me, but not the bean counters.
And I will always bang my head on the wall with those thoughts.
Unfortunately, millenials don't seem to collect anything today...so real collectors are becoming a dying breed, and Ruger will go down as being asleep at the wheel.
Chet15

I was the underbidder at $400 and had to stop at some point. The value is the label which says only Blackhawk and does not have a model number such as BKH34. I recently saw a Hawkeye box sell for $666 (actual not a 'devilish' make up) and I just lost a lightweight wreath box that I bid $1000 for and it sold for $1026; both on eBay.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Paper boxes are paper stock, glue, and ink. I would think that if a $500 profit can be made with a good printer and an hour or two of effort, we can expect many instances of counterfeiting. Selling to individual marks who don't quite know what to look for would represent the bulk of opportunity.

Personally, I like to have a "complete" package too, but I don't get all itchy about old Ruger boxes..

street

Hunter
To all of you that think that a cardboard box is just something to throw away please send me all of the old model ruger boxes that you have and I will gladly pay $10.00 each for them. As you think they are worthless $10.00 is way too much, but I am willing to give that for them. :wink: Thanks in advance for all that apply. :shock:

Rclark

Hunter
I would if I had any. I'd feel really bad otherwise asking more for cardboard! $10 would at least cover the shipping. It'd that conscious thing you know... ;) :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
I love old packaging, especially gun and ammo boxes. A couple years ago I paid $200 for a replica Colt box for a 1929 Police Positive Target just because I wanted the complete package, the way they used to be. That's the catch though, OLD boxes. I have no affection for anything that was shipped from the factory during my lifetime. Biggest thing about boxes is that they're not worth anything until long after you've decided they were unwanted clutter. I used to save everything but have thrown away a lot of boxes in the last few years because I was tired of making room for them. Don't know if I'll live to see them worth anything or not and honestly don't care. I presume that my thinking is more prevalent than others, which is what makes old boxes rare and valuable.

rugerguy said:
if you do not know what it is, and why it is worth so much, then you do NOT know Rugers :?
I know Rugers and have bought about 60 of them in the last 30yrs. I just don't know much about boxes, or really care. No offense, it just ain't my thang. ;)