What is thedifference between Ruger single action revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...now don't forget the Super Blackhawks which are 44 magnum guns which have the same frame size as the regular Blackhawk.

Dennis I know exactly what you mean about looking at pictures and not seeing the details. A few years ago I didn't live close to any good gun stores and I wanted a Browning Buckmark. I looked at all the different models and analyzed the details. Ordered the buckmark and only when i had it in my hands did I see the full length rail across the top. It was the contour model and I didn't realize that fact at all. Which is probably the one feature I didn't want at all. And none of the pictures showed that dumb little plastic wedge spacer down inside the slide.

I wish I had asked basic questions back then... Even though I do like the Buckmark.

Thus and so, if you are wanting a Ruger single action, you probably can't go wrong with any of the different variations. And eventually you will probably end up with one of each :D

isaactc

Bearcat
Denis, a word of caution on Bisley Blackhawk grip frames vs. Blackhawk grip frames. It is popularly bandied about that Bisley grip frames allow the shooter to handle heavy recoil a little easer than the "standard" Blackhawk. This is true for most shooters. I have very large hands. On my Bisley Blackhawk My middle finger 2nd knuckle rest against the trigger guard because the front strap on the Bisley grip frame is around 1/16" closer to the trigger guard then the standard Blackhawk grip frame. With heavier hand loads I get "rapped" on the knuckle with the Bisley. The "standard" Blackhawk grip allows the revolver to "roll back" in your hand and is a terrific design. My advise? Go to as many gun stores as necessary before plunking down your cash and handle BOTH grip frames. You will find the one that fits YOUR hand. Good luck and above all, have fun!

Rclark

Hunter
Well, when all is said and done, most of us end up with at 'least' one of each. So get one that looks like you would like and ... the rest will follow. Every one 'usually' gets Rugeritis at one time or another. There are many books available if you can/like to read too. Taffin had some good ones although most or out of stock. Prasac's book Ruger Revolvers is a good start.

Looks like some of Taffin's books are on-line like two of my favorites Six-guns and Book of the .44

Then there is gunblast for some good info on Rugers such as two on the New Vaquero.

New Vaquero info
New Vaquero revisited
SA Grip Frames

Do a search in the gunblast archives. Lots of Rugers in there :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.

Even though I was born when Eisenhower was president, I didn't start shooting until 2008. Thank you for sharing your collective years of experience with a relative newbie.

Regarding Rugeritus, yeah, I think I understand. When I purchased my first firearm, a Ruger 22/45 with 4.5" slab barrel, I thought that would probably be the only gun I would ever need - or want. Well you of course know what happened: I now have, besides the 22/45, two SP101s (22 and 357), a Ruger Predator .308, and throw in the Browning shotgun and Marlin 39A lever rifle and I has most of the bases covered.

So much for just one gun!

Peace,
Dennis

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Dennis, don't let anybody get you down here. This is for the most part a very friendly site and I like it. I am a member of a certain automotive site that is so rude that you are basically not allowed to ask a question that has EVER been asked before or you are doomed and ridiculed forever. We hope that will not happen here.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Dennis, one thing that is more noticeable in handling than it is in the pics is the hammer. Vaquero hammers stick up just a wee bit farther. With my stubby little thumb, I notice the extra reach. Some like to buy a Super Blackhawk hammer which is even a little shorter than the regular Blackhawk and exchange them. Usually, not always, a drop in fit.

Biselys have always left me in a quanderey. That grip fits me like it was molded to my hand. Also, I appreciate the very low target hammer. But, the things are just so bloody ugly!

hittman

Staff member
Any one or even a number of the books written on Ruger single actions are a sound investment.

I've never bought one myself. I ask for them as gifts for Christmas, Fathers Day, my birthday, etc. They're a resource I have used over and over and over again.

You really should own one or more of the books on the subject.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dennis,

I haven't published this yet, but since it's not in any books on Rugers [in this format], it will be part of my book, and it may be a helpful summary for you:

NEW MODEL DIFFERENTIATION BY CYLINDER FRAMES SIZES:

1. There's large and medium frame SBH/Blackhawks, no small frames; that's the Single Six frame size.

2. 44 SBH and all other non-Flat Top Blackhawks including the new 454 and 480 Bisleys (all with rear sight protective side ribs), the 41 mag and 44 mag Flat Top Blackhawks, old Vaquero, and New Vaquero in 44 Mag, use the large size cyl frame.

3. New Vaqueros and Flat Top Blackhawks in 45, 44 Spl and 357 are all use the medium frame.

GRIP FRAME SIZES:

1. All flat tops, large and med frame, and New Vaq have XR3 steel grip frames.

2. All other non-Bisley Blackhawks, short barrel SBHs and single sixes have XR3-RED alloy or steel grip frames.

3. SBHs with 7 ½" and 10 ½" barrels have the Dragoon longer size grip frame with square back trigger guard. SBH Hunters have the Dragoon longer size grip frame with round trigger guard.

4. Grip frame finger space behind the trigger guard:

a. Bisley has the smallest space of all Ruger grip frames.
b. XR3 has 1/16" larger space.
c. XR3-RED size is 3/16" larger than Bisley.
d. SBH/Hunter Dragoon grip frames have the largest space.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

1. Most all models at one time or another have been offered with Birdshead and Bisley grip frames, and some exclusively, for example: the New Vaquero 44 Mag larger frame has only been offered with Birdshead grip frame so far.

2. Only New Vaqueros and Flat Top Blackhawks have the Reverse Indexing Pawl System (which includes a free spin cyl pawl) to align the cyl chambers with the loading gate trough for loading and unloading like the old model Rugers.

THREE MOST COMMON GRIP FRAME SIZES:

F-gripsquare3.jpg

I hope this is helpful,

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Wolfee - Yes, I noticed the different hammer heights and wondered about how that would affect one's ability to cock the gun. Indeed, I would want to put the gun in my hand to see how my hand would fit the particular firearm.

Hittman - There are several types of learners and I definitely prefer reading. Let me paraphrase Will Rogers - There are three types of learners: First there are those who learn by hearing. Second, there are those learn by reading. And finally, there are those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. :-o!

Hondo44 - Great material! You present information I don't even know to ask. Keep up the good work!

Thanks again to all,
Dennis

Tellico

Buckeye
Dennis said:
DPris said:
Your questions about differences could easily have been answered by going to Ruger's website & looking at their photos of the various models.
They do show an image in profile of every model they list, along with descriptions, and you are missing the obvious.

You can shoulder some of the burden of your research. :)
Denis
Denis,

I have "shouldered" my own research before I came to this forum to ask for advice. I plainly stated in my original post that I had been to the website but wasn't getting much out of it. I did look at the profiles but just didnt see enough difference to make a judcement. When other helpful posters suggested looking at the sights I really appreciated that. I tried but I don't know what I don't know so thought it would be safe to come to this forum without getting slammed for no good reason . I guess I was wrong.

Dennis,
Now you see there are many nice and helpful people here. Benefit from them and just learn to ignore the terminaly cranky remainders that disagree with and berate anyone with less knowledge than they think they have.
Fred

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
I haven't published this yet, but since it's not in any books on Rugers...
I don't think you can make that claim. The subject of Ruger frame and grip sizes has been well covered in several publications. Including the works of Taffin and this one:

IMG_52481.JPG

Hondo44

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
I don't think you can make that claim. The subject of Ruger frame and grip sizes has been well covered in several publications. Including the works of Taffin and this one:

There are no 'thought' police, everyone is free to think what they want.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You have a real problem when someone corrects your erroneous information, don't you? Just like the whole weight issue, you seem to take everything personal and get bent outta shape. Same deal here, you posted something, it was wrong. Get over it and move on. Nothing personal, no insults, no condescension.