What Exactly Is a Bisley ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

henry-b

Bearcat
Does a Bisley start life as a Blackhawk ?
What makes a Bisley a Bisley ?
Do all Bisley's have the engraved Bisley cylinder ?
Are all Bisley's 44's ?

Is this a Bisley ?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/759789057

wwb

Hunter
A "Bisley" is defined by the shape of the grip..... nothing more, nothing less. The grip shape was originally designed for target shooting competition, named after Bisley, England where the competition was held.

Yes, the one shown is a Bisley..... pay close attention to the shape of the grip frame, as opposed to the Colt "Plow Handle" on most SA revolvers.

Cholo

Staff member

Some do, though not all.

No.

Are all Bisley's 44's ?

No.

The second different characteristic of the bisley is the hammer versus the standard blackhawk/SAA hammer. To figure it further all my blackhawk standard grip frame guns wear modified bisley hammers!

cas6969

Buckeye
Not all Bisley's start as Blackhawks... Bisley's started as Colts for about 90 years. ;)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The Ruger Bisley is not a direct copy of the original Colt Bisley. The Colt Bisley is faithfully copied by the Uberti imports. When Ruger introduced his Bisley model he modified certain contours of the grip to improve the grip's feel in the hand.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright said:
The Ruger Bisley is not a direct copy of the original Colt Bisley. The Colt Bisley is faithfully copied by the Uberti imports. When Ruger introduced his Bisley model he modified certain contours of the grip to improve the grip's feel in the hand.

Bob Wright

Uberti may have tried, but the one I owned felt different (less comfortable) than the original Colts I have. And the Uberti's have wood grips where the Colts I have seen all have hard rubber grips.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The difference is the grip frame, hammer and trigger. In the case of the Colt, the Bisley has its own receiver. The Ruger is loosely based on the Colt Bisley but also seems to be inspired by the Keith #5 grip frame. The backstrap profile is very similar but the front strap is very different, more like a standard plowhandle but longer overall. Ruger has produced the Bisley configuration on all three single action frames, the Single Six, medium frame Blackhawk and large frame Blackhawk. In everything including .22LR, .32H&R, .357Mag, .41Mag, .44Spl, .44Mag, .45Colt and .45ACP convertibles.

Colt-type Bisley (Cimarron with factory ivory):

IMG_6896b.jpg

Ruger Bisleys:

IMG_9429b.jpg

I knew what the grip curve looked like, as well as the hammer and trigger. I just recently discovered that the grip was also thicker than the frame with sort of a palm swell, and that it is also significantly longer than the plowhandle style grip, allowing support for the little finger.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
henry-b said:

Answer: No.

What makes a Bisley a Bisley ?

Answer: defining characteristics----
a) Topstrap of grip frame arcs directly into the recoil shield of the single action frame. To accomplish this, the top two grip frame screws are BELOW, not above, the arc of the backstop. Therefore, these screws are hidden by the grip panels.

Are all Bisley's 44's ?

Is this a Bisley ?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/759789057

Answer: Yes, the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter is a Bisley.
David Bradshaw

I've handled a gen-u-wine Colt Bisley, and all I can say is it was the most awkward thing ever. I've read it was developed to suit the one-hand, seriously-bent-shooting-arm style in vogue at the time, and this may well be true.

I think Ruger's take on the matter looks like it would be quite adaptable to today's two-hand Weaver hold as sorted out by Cooper, but have not tried this. Actually, I have avoided the Ruger Bisleys because I fear it might prove to be habit-forming in spite of over fifty years of Ruger plow-handles forming my hands to their configuration . . . and I'm too old to get all new guns.

JMHO

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
So glad the question came up, thank you.

Here is a Blackhawk:

And here is a Bisley:

And, they're the same gun!

And, this .45, which is impersonating a Super Blackhawk, was once a Bisley:

So you see, its all in the grip!

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A Ruger Bisley is always a Bisley version of "something":

Bisley Single Six, Seven, Nine, or Ten
Bisley Blackhawk
Bisley Flat Top Blackhawk
Bisley Super Blackhawk
Bisley Vaquero
Bisley New Vaquero

and in any caliber.

In other words, for example, you can't just say, "I want a Bisley .45". You must specify which model Bisley version you want.

Latest posts