Upgrades for the Mark III, Resonses

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have posted this on other sites just to see what everyone else thinks?
I have recieved my Mark III Hunter, Love it ! I have been doing a lot of reading on the LCI, Mag Disconnect and Sears and all that. I thought I would do all that but after taking her out to the range I don't think I will. No FTF no FTL. Fired 300 to 400 rounds through her and the trigger was a comfortable squeez, don't know the poundage, Mag Disconnect caused no problems, and the LCI did not even know it was there. The only thing I believe that I will do is add a VQ adjustable trigger for travel. I figuered I would get a lot of responses from this but I do not see the need for all the other Mods. The pistol just worked smooth and functioned flawlessly!
Would like to hear other thoughts on this.

smokeyw

Bearcat
If you are satisfied with the pistol as is, I certainly would not spend the money for the upgrades. In my case, I was not satisfied with the heavy trigger pull. I opted to replace the sear. I also wanted to remove excessive trigger play so I chose to replace the standard trigger with a VQ adjustable one and add a Clark Mk ll hammer bushing. In the hammer bushing replacement, the mag disconnect was secondary. I mostly wanted to remove any play that I could but I am happy that the mag disconnect is now gone. The only other thing I did was install a VQ exact edge extractor and remove the LCI tab. I did these as a preventative measure and not because I had any operation issues. The VQ extractor is inexpensive and it costed me nothing to remove the LCI tab. My pistol is now exactly what I want and I know what I have. Like I said, if you are happy with yours, that is what counts. Everyone has different standards.

The biggest change I have made was to replace the trigger with a Volquartsen adjustable ( https://www.volquartsen.com/products/294-target-trigger-for-ruger-mkiimkiii ). That in itself made the pistol much more 'shootable'.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I agree that I think that will be all I do to mine also. That is after I get done paying for the two red dot scopes that I have purchased for my Mark III's

I can't even imagine changing the trigger on my MKIII it has always felt pretty dern near perfect to me.

The only thing I did to my target MKIII was change out the factory sights to high vis fiber optics and target grips.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
The only reason I would even change the trigger is for the adjustments on the VQ trigger, other than that you are right it is perfact

A

Anonymous

You get the most "bang for the buck" with just the trigger, then the sear. I have the new stainless steel VQ trigger, much better, I think, than the VQ aluminum. The other VQ parts each add minor improvement.

I do really appreciate removing the mag safety, replacing it with VQ's Mark II hammer bushing, about $8. Then the mags fall freely when released, and you don't need to have a mag in sight when stripping the gun.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I can't even imagine changing the trigger on my MKIII it has always felt pretty dern near perfect to me.

The only thing I did to my target MKIII was change out the factory sights to high vis fiber optics and target grips.

Exactly what I did with my Mark II Target (5.5" bull barrel). I really like the Hi Viz front sight. The Ruger/Hogue thumbrest grip is similarly very nice:
_DSC4080.jpg

Personally I am happy with the stock trigger in both my Mark II and my Mark III Hunter (6.88" fluted barrel) and at least right now I plan on leaving it alone.