Unfired, Made in 1944

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
In the past, I've regarded myself as more of a shooter than a collector... but, maybe as I'm getting older (I've passed 50) I have been shooting less & collecting more.

I know opinions will be all over the place on this one; please don't hesitate to share.

This pistol IS a Llama, therefore far less interesting than a comparable Colt, of course. Nonetheless, I've yet to see another of this level of ostensible quality. I say, "ostensible" because it is still unfired. I'm only basing my observations on handling and first-hand inspection. Besides that, the condition is inarguably pristine!

Btw, this is a "Model V" in .38 Super.

anyg46.jpg
Nice Bluing -& No "Idiot Scratch!"

2qui2ci.jpg
Spanish "O" date stamp indicates 1944 manufacture.
Grip Panels & Bbl. Have Matching Nos.

xcuqko.jpg
1911-A1 Copy w/o Grip Safety

dpz9l3.jpg
Bright Bbl. Hood

Year of manufacture: 1944.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
You have a fine piece of history there. The Llamas and the Stars have a fantastic history but are overlooked by many folks as being just another import. Love the .38 Super. Thanks for sharing.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Danjet500 said:
Well, I for one, like it. I don't own any Llama firearms or .38 Super guns, but it sure looks like a nice one. :D

Beaver Creek said:
You have a fine piece of history there. The Llamas and the Stars have a fantastic history but are overlooked by many folks as being just another import. Love the .38 Super. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you kindly, gentlemen.

I wish more were known about Llama in the height of its production -which, coincidentally occurs during early part of the Generalisimo Francisco Franco era (Spanish Civil War) and the second world war. There's not a whole lot of available information, unfortunately. And, the best compilation of Llama models I've found, seen below, doesn't have as much on the Model V, pictures or otherwise, as one might hope.

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/llamapage.html

If anyone knows of another resource, please share the link.

Thank you.

Tip

Single-Sixer
coach said:
I like the looks of it. No grip safety makes it more than a 1911 copy.

Thank you. I really like how it looks, as well! :D

xge51z.jpg

Smooth Bluing Color Tone; Right Side of Slide is Devoid of Any Markings

Tip

Single-Sixer
Beaver Creek said:
You have a fine piece of history there. The Llamas... are overlooked by many folks as being just another import...
Thanks, Beaver Creek.
This particular example was not made for import, btw. It bears no stamps to indicate this, i.e. "Spain" or "Made in Spain."

I've taken it to the range, since first posting here; it's shoots very well (.38 Super).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Fine example of a 1911 "improved" design. Star and Llama did away with the grip safety, which was supposedly added only at the insistence of the US Calvary.

Shoot that 38 Super!

radicalrod

Hunter
Coogs said:
You HAD to say that RR, didn't ya??? Coogs.

Jack you know I am an A HOLE.....that is why you LOVE ME :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: RR

But technically I am correct too even if I am an A HOLE :roll: :roll: :roll:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Tip,

That is a fine example. IIRC that model was made to the Star Modelo A design, during the war years. This link for the Star history should trace the design back to the 1920-1921 time frame.

http://star-firearms.com/index.html

Ted

The Star re-do of the 1911 Colt had one other advantage over the original, IMO. It was scaled for the 9mm Largo (and so, the .38 ACP and Super). That meant a slimmer frame and grip that points better than the .45 frame and grip for many shooters. These were very popular in Latin America for many years, partly because they work better for smaller hands and partly because .45s were banned for civilians in many Latin countries. And don't forget they were MUCH cheaper, a big deal in poor countries.

I like the Star modifications of the Colt, especially the "Super" variations that combine the 1911 look and feel with the Browning 1935 takedown system. The best of them is the "Super A" in the original 9mmx21 Largo caliber, IMO. The 9mmx19 Parabellum variations ("Super B") weren't modified for the shorter cartridge completely and often suffer malfunctions.

Some Llamas are great, some not-so. The best I've found were the ones imported by Stoeger in the 1950s and 60s. Later the quality waned. I have a 1950s-vintage Commander-sized .38 Super that shoots as well as any Colt (it has a steel frame like the later "Combat Commander."

Tip

Single-Sixer
Thanks for sharing what you know, guys.
Yesterday was range day, in Central Texas. The .38 Super made the trip with 3 others, of different calibers and actions. I had hoped my "Sweetie" would want to shoot it, but she's still intimidated by semi-auto pistols.
330xwyo.jpg

She got acclimated to the GP100, firing .38 Spcl.