U.S.S. Indianapolis.....! I just finished reading(again) IN HARM'S WAY by Doug Stanton. I'll never forget the sacrifices of all who served in WW2!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
7C21B2AB-82A3-4F20-B6BA-3411F18AACB8.jpeg

Last edited:

dannyd

Hunter
The sad part is all the money wasted in the 80's trying to bring back something that was made Obsolete on December 10, 1941.

The Missouri is now where she belongs as a Museum.

If the Navy could have ever got their act together the crew of the Indy would not have had to suffer like that.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Read that book some years backs, fantastic book, horrible ordeal. My thoughts with the crew and skipper who go railroaded.
I did gunnery X's with New Jersey in PR ( Vieques Island) In the mid 80's. The Iowas sure were fantastic beasts.

I also briefly met a crew member of Indy at my local VA about 5 years ago. He was in a wheel chair being pushed by his middle aged daughter. Dementia has taken hold and we just chatted for only 2一3 minutes. The Greatest Generation indeed.

dannyd

Hunter
Read that book some years backs, fantastic book, horrible ordeal. My thoughts with the crew and skipper who go railroaded.
I did gunnery X's with New Jersey in PR ( Vieques Island) In the mid 80's. The Iowas sure were fantastic beasts.

I also briefly met a crew member of Indy at my local VA about 5 years ago. He was in a wheel chair being pushed by his middle aged daughter. Dementia has taken hold and we just chatted for only 2一3 minutes. The Greatest Generation indeed.
That CG above was the only active duty ship stationed at Staten Island where the Iowa was going before her accident.

We could have use all those guy's on the BB to help with this because we were always short handed.

08F17EC2-C8FC-400E-A6C6-78D2A3AEFEAB.jpeg

RC44Mag

Buckeye
In A-School I picked my ship in part based on the fact that it was at Coastal Dry dock in Brooklyn. I was only there for about 6 months before underway for home port Norfolk but it sure was nice to be home with friends and family most weekends. To be young and dumb more concerned with partying. Was certainly glad to see New Jersey do her thing, made our 5/54 look like a hypodermic needle.
Your one ship pic sure looks like the ditch, we did it in 85.

dannyd

Hunter
In A-School I picked my ship in part based on the fact that it was at Coastal Dry dock in Brooklyn. I was only there for about 6 months before underway for home port Norfolk but it sure was nice to be home with friends and family most weekends. To be young and dumb more concerned with partying. Was certainly glad to see New Jersey do her thing, made our 5/54 look like a hypodermic needle.
Your one ship pic sure looks like the ditch, we did it in 85.
I was in the HSL's; We could move from ship to ship, so I did the 1985 Mediterranean cruise on the on ship, 1986 Mediterranean cruise on another ship and 1987 cruise on another ship.

That's the Normandy in the ditch winter of 1991; going from frigate to a cruiser was heaven even if it was in Staten Island.

Saw the New Jersey when I was stationed in San Diego 1983.

The battle group above is the America followed behind her for 4 cruisers.

Always miss the boat; being an Airedale rode every class of ship in the battle group from Frigate to the Carrier.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I was in the HSL's; We could move from ship to ship, so I did the 1985 Mediterranean cruise on the on ship, 1986 Mediterranean cruise on another ship and 1987 cruise on another ship.

That's the Normandy in the ditch winter of 1991; going from frigate to a cruiser was heaven even if it was in Staten Island.

Saw the New Jersey when I was stationed in San Diego 1983.

The battle group above is the America followed behind her for 4 cruisers.

Always miss the boat; being an Airedale rode every class of ship in the battle group from Frigate to the Carrier.
USS McCandless( FF-1084) here. I was an OS. We had a LAMPS Seasprite attached. 🍻

RC44Mag

Buckeye
FF was a rough ride; 15 years in the Lumps (Lamps) 9 years as a Det Chief. :)
Tin Can for me, only wanted a Destroyer or Frigate. We saw some crazy sea conditions in N. Atlantic winters chasing Soviet subs all around. good amount of ship damage and broken bones as well. The cruise right before I got aboard they lost a BM over the forecastle in heavy seas, never to be seen again. RIP

Last edited:

dannyd

Hunter
Tin Can for me, only wanted a Destroyer or Frigate. We saw some crazy sea conditions in N. Atlantic winters chasing Soviet subs all around. good amount of ship damage and broken bones as well. The cruise right before I got aboard they lost a BM over the forecastle in heavy seas, never to be seen again. RIP
Yep, crossed the Atlantic 12 times. February or March and or October or November never crossed in a good time of year.

Ever made the Perfect Storm in 91 and didn't know about it until the movie came out. We just thought it was another normal day in the North Atlantic walking on the walls.

Yep, crossed the Atlantic 12 times. February or March and or October or November never crossed in a good time of year.

Ever made the Perfect Storm in 91 and didn't know about it until the movie came out. We just thought it was another normal day in the North Atlantic walking on the walls.
I made 8 Med cruises, 5 on USS Independence CVA/CV-62, 1 on USS Kalamzoo AOR-6 and 2 on USS Shenandoah AD-44. Hit one storm heading for the Med. that tore the catwalks off the side of the flight deck in the Independence.
This picture always reminded of why I liked the carrier. This is a Norwegian ship we were refueling. The next shot show only the bridge above water.
Navy photos004.jpg

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I was on radar watch on the bridge on my Knox class in the Atlantic north of Germany during real lumpy seas and watch the whole bow go under and all the way to to 01 to O2 deck and we wondered( hoped) that she was coming back up. This happened time after time.

dannyd

Hunter
I made 8 Med cruises, 5 on USS Independence CVA/CV-62, 1 on USS Kalamzoo AOR-6 and 2 on USS Shenandoah AD-44. Hit one storm heading for the Med. that tore the catwalks off the side of the flight deck in the Independence.
This picture always reminded of why I liked the carrier. This is a Norwegian ship we were refueling. The next shot show only the bridge above water.
View attachment 8829
Were you on the 1985 Mediterranean Cruise on Kalamzoo; she almost ran over the Frigate I was standing on flight deck of. When we broke away the engines stopped it was a sight to see as that 5 story building was coming at us. We were getting ready to jump but she was able to turn enough to miss us. ;)