tickled pink

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well the long awaited day has arrived. I have my 480 super redhawk back at home. It started out as a 7.5" gun and someone had it magnaported. I shoot shorter barreled guns better for some strange reason. I have a alaskan 454 and love it. So I sent the 480 to Performance gun works and had it cut down to the alaskan size. Scott Boger is the owners name and he did a great job on my gun. Instead of cutting a dovetail for the front sight I had him do a plunge cut into the top of the frame and install the sight. It turned out perfect and looks great. I will get some pictures up later. Scott's prices were great and the work is top quality. I ended up paying $185.00 for the whole job including return shipping. The phone # is 336 463 2323. Scott is a great person and does top quality work at reasonable prices. Call Scott up and talk to him if you have a project you want done his work is awesome.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
For the life of me, I just don't understand why anyone would want a "hand-cannon" (454, 480, etc.) with under a 4" barrel...For me, a 4 or 5 inch barreled large frame gun isn't any "harder" to carry than one of those snubby little monsters.

glockman99 said:
For the life of me, I just don't understand why anyone would want a "hand-cannon" (454, 480, etc.) with under a 4" barrel...For me, a 4 or 5 inch barreled large frame gun isn't any "harder" to carry than one of those snubby little monsters.

That why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream! everyone has preferences!! ps :D

MaxP

Buckeye
glockman99 said:

Much easier to carry on the hip. My 5-inch .500 Linebaugh SRH was a pleasure to carry and accurate out to the ranges I hunted with it (125 + yards). The shorter barrel doesn't mean a decrease in accuracy.

I love my .480 Alaskan. Many of us love our Alaskans. Clearly we are all stupid and you are much smarter than us. Good thing you are here to educate us. I'll continue to somehow limp along in my ignorance.

Gregg

5of7

Hunter
glockman99 said:

I tend to agree with this sentiment, although I can see it a lot better in a .480 Ruger than a 454 Casull.

The 454, with it's extra case volume begs for copious amounts of slower powders which results in a lot of excess muzzle flash and noise. The 480, while still pretty bad that way is a little better.

I too draw the line on a 4" barrel for the bigger thumpers. I have a 4.2" Redhawk in .45LC that gets to be a bit of a handful once a 300 grainer exceeds 1100 fps. 8)

glockman99

Single-Sixer
tulsamal said:

I love my .480 Alaskan. Many of us love our Alaskans. Clearly we are all stupid and you are much smarter than us. Good thing you are here to educate us. I'll continue to somehow limp along in my ignorance.

Gregg
Sorry, but I didn't mean to insult anyone. :(

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I went out and shot the snubby little monster this morning and a can at 60 yds doesn't stand a chance. I am well pleased with the job and the way it shoots. One awesome little gun in my opinion. It will only get better when I get the fibre optic sight off and get a black sight in it's place.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My son is chomping at the bits for me to put the wood finger groove grips back on it. But I like the feel of the rubber grips and they work best with the recoil. The wood grips are made thin in the back and are almost painful to shoot after about 18 shots. The rubber tames it down a lot with the insert in them.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
glockman99 said:

...The shorter barrel doesn't mean a decrease in accuracy.
Very true. I watched an "Impossible Shots" episode of Bob Munden hitting a target at 200 yards with a LITTLE "snubby" revolver.