Thoughts on a SP101 in .22lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eyeseeum

Bearcat
i am considering getting one to compliment my SP101 357 with 3 inch bbl everyday carry piece. cheaper to practice with and fun plinking. 4 inch bbl would be nice. looking for thoughts on accuracy, any common problems or issues as well as older version vs newer one. really like my 357. thanks

Mike in Reedley

Bearcat
I like mine, there's several u tube videos on cleaning up the trigger. Mine still had metal flashing inside it. After cleaning it up and adding the proper Wolfe spring to get 100% ignition, mine shoots great.

Mine goes to the range with me every time. The trigger will be stiff when new, just clean it up and shoot the poo poo out of it and that SP101 will slicken up nicely. I tried different springs in mine but I shoot it better with the stock springs in it.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I bought one for the wife recently. It needed some TLC to really make it a nice shooter. I cleaned up the action, installed hammer shims, and Wolff hammer and trigger return springs. I added a pair of Hogue purple monogrips and the wife enjoys it now.

I also have an LCR22, but use it as a low cost practice piece for the LCR38.

eyeseeum

Bearcat
sounds like the trigger is the main complaint which is kind of expected. $20 and a little honing could help fix that. i had hoped barrel seating and cone issues were not common and so far you guys have me sold. then again one rarely needs to twist my arm to consider buying a new revolver. as far as accuracy goes if i do my part and it can hit a squirrel at 25 yds thats good enough for me. thanks for your responses

Prescut

Single-Sixer
The SP101 in 22 has a reputation around that trigger from its inception. The DA can be over 14 lbs and very gritty. Lots of stories online about getting that trigger just right and then having light strikes failure to fire. I know it's a Ruger, but Ruger has much better 22 revolvers than the SP101.
and I own one.

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
I bought a LCRx 3" in 22 mag... it's a 6 shot. It's the 3rd revolver that I have purchased in the LCR platform They're great shooters...this one being the most enjoyable.

I love shooting my SP101 .357 but the LCR's are a fun gun too.

eyeseeum

Bearcat
Yeah there are plenty of .22 options out there but my purpose is to replicate my 357 as much as possible for less ammo cost. Other than the 4 inch bbl they should feel basically the same.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I like my .22 SP101 just fine. I know I was a lot more accurate with my MKIII that I sold to buy it. But I do like the revolver. Been thinking about getting a MK IV. The .22 SP101 be fine for your stated purpose. Having 8 rounds is nice in the .22.

Swamper

Bearcat
I have both, the SP101 (4.2" barrel and fully adj. sights) and the Bearcat (both fixed and adj.).

When checking the chickens, having a keen eye for feral cats or egg gobbling snakes, the little Bearcat is my mainstay. I refer to it as my "Chicken Checkin'" gun. I love its light weight and delicate lines (something missing from most current production guns).

On the other hand, the SP101 offers more heft and a couple of extra shots. Two coyote have fallen to the SP, as well as, numerous other vermin. No flames on the inadequacy of the rimfire for such a critter, please. As referenced to Dizzy Dean "It ain't bragging if you can do it."

Now for those who feel the 22LR inadequate..., please join me in soliciting Ruger and Lipsey's to, again, join forces and produce something we can all agree to need..., a stainless SP chambered for 22 magnum! Hopefully having a 6 shot cylinder, 4 or 5 inch barrel with adj. sights, I think it would prove to be a winner for many applications.
Swamper

eyeseeum

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack other than sights and possibly extra 3 ounces what makes you favor the new model over the old?

Eyeseeum. That's a good question. I think it has a lot to do with life experience. Over the years I've had several S&W mod 34's, 63's even model 18's, with the exception of the 2-1/2" 34's, they are all 4", they all balanced well, even looked balanced, and shot well. I guess I associate the 4" SP101 to the S&W's. Now, as compared to the 3" SP101's, I've also had S&W mod 317's which are lighter but the relative size to trigger pull just doesn't make them that desirable. You want a balance of feel and trigger pull. Maybe it's my imagination but there is a difference to me. It seems like the smaller the gun the heavier the trigger pull (or feels) so I just want a good balance between look and feel. It's all subjective, you have to go with what your life experience says.
It's similar to all the Westerns I watched back in the 50's and 60's (obviously not all) the majority of the guns those guys used were 4-1/2" to 4-3/4" guns. In spite of my bear gun being a 5-1/2" gun most of my single actions are 4-5/8" they look right.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I have an early 4.2 inch full lug 22. Matches my 4.2 full lug 357. I changed the front sight to a fibre optic to match the 357. I had a hard time seeing the original blade. Other than the sight change and addition of finger groove grips (I messed up my hand years ago, and need the grips for support.), its original.
My single and double action pulls are fine, although I seldom shoot double action. Accuracy is better than my abilities. I'm going to carry it for squirrels this fall here in eastern VA. In the western part of the state the 357 is ever present with heavy loads for scaring bears.
Feel and balance are very similar.
Bfly

eyeseeum

Bearcat
thanks for the input guys. went with the old model 4 inch that weaselmeatgravy had for sale on here. blackly i have hunted squirrels with a dog and single six for years and its the second best time i've ever had .