Taurus 94

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john lee

Bearcat
Picked up my new Taurus 94 on tuesday. It is one tight gun. Took a handful of .22 shorts out to the back field and in single action the trigger wasn't bad and it seemed to hit pine cones every time (on the ground of course). Double action must be at about 15 pounds. Overall, a good impression of a gun that cost $320.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
john lee, Wow, I guess I havn't looked at the price of those in a while. I bought one back in the mid 90's for about $140.00! They are great little "pocket" guns and kind of wished I'd hung on to it. As for the heavy DA pull, you can fix that up with lighter trigger and hammer springs and a little judicious smoothing of a few interacting parts. I got my DA pull down to 8 lbs with the above action. Not sure if Brownell's still carries the spring kits for the 94. It's easy enough to cut down and make springs from their # 69 & # 71 spring kits..........................Dick :wink:

We may specialize in Rugers, but we bear an appreciation of all firearms.

My experiences with the Model 94 parallel yours, john lee, although I admit to a few failures to fire in double action.

:)

coach

Hunter
ranger1":1i1m1npa said:
Just wondering why you're posting a thread on the RugerForum about a Taurus Firearm. :?

Because no matter what we buy we just wish they were Rugers :)
I bought one years ago & it's a decent gun based on S&W. I got springs from Brownells and stoned it a little to lighten up the pull. Don't tighten the cylinder crane retainer screw too much because it binds things up.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I bought a stainless 94 a few years back.

A young son of a friend of mine had to shoot DA with both hands.

A decent trigger job fixed that and now it is a keeper. A trigger job is a must imo.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
ranger1":38m9jglv said:
Just wondering why you're posting a thread on the RugerForum about a Taurus Firearm. :?
You must be new here. :wink:

If you have a spare three-day weekend sometime, see if you can find and read all the threads here about 1911s. :lol:

ranger1

Buckeye
Yes I am new here and spend a lot of time looking at most of the posts. I was under the impression that this was a dedicated Ruger Forum, discussing Rugers or making a comparison to other makes/models of firearms. I guess I was wrong according to some of you guys. Now if I want to read about a Buckmark, I look at Rimfire Central. If I want to read about 1911's, CZ's or Glock's, I'll probably go the Guntalk or The Firing Line.
Does this make sense or am I still unimformed? :roll:

Snake45

ranger1":3o53vjmu said:
Yes I am new here and spend a lot of time looking at most of the posts. I was under the impression that this was a dedicated Ruger Forum, discussing Rugers or making a comparison to other makes/models of firearms. I guess I was wrong according to some of you guys. Now if I want to read about a Buckmark, I look at Rimfire Central. If I want to read about 1911's, CZ's or Glock's, I'll probably go the Guntalk or The Firing Line.
Does this make sense or am I still unimformed? :roll:
The central focus here is, of course, Rugers. But they are not the only firearms in the world, and we do not pretend that they are (well, most of us, anyway). :wink:

You'll find that there is a wealth of knowledge of all types of firearms here, not just Rugers. You may avail yourself of this if you wish. Or not, if that is your preference.

Rimfirecentral is a good site. So is EOTAC. So is the M14 forum, and, in many cases, ARFcom. So is this one. I'm not familiar with the other sites you mentioned so cannot comment on them.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Meanwhile...

To the topic (Taurus 94's), I cannot recall owning one, but a friend had one, and shot it for years and years. He used it defensively (once at least) on a marauding raccoon threatening his kids' play yard.

I picked up a 96 revolver once when I could not afford the extra $150 for a nearby K22. The 96 shot like a target pistol and collected zillions of cottontails and jackrabbits, and did a good job with headshot squirrel high in the pines. I still have it and it remains tight and clean. Great value in a rimfire wheelgun!

I'd put my 96 up anyday in a one-on-one contest against Ruger's 22LR six-shot 6" DA revolver.

Oops! I forgot Ruger never got around to making one! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Snake45

I own both Smith K-22s and Colt Diamondbacks in .22, but if someone were to offer me either a Taurus 94 or 96 used, not abused but maybe even with some holster wear, in the $200 neighborhood, I think I would probably sprain my wrist or twist my elbow, reaching for my wallet so fast! :wink:

DMN

Bearcat
Snake45":16vxapkr said:
I own both Smith K-22s and Colt Diamondbacks in .22, but if someone were to offer me either a Taurus 94 or 96 used, not abused but maybe even with some holster wear, in the $200 neighborhood, I think I would probably sprain my wrist or twist my elbow, reaching for my wallet so fast! :wink:

Snake,

How do you like the Colt Diamondback? I'm still looking for a .22 revolver.

Snake45

DMN":hf983ubl said:
Snake45":hf983ubl said:

Snake,

How do you like the Colt Diamondback? I'm still looking for a .22 revolver.
I like both of them, a 4" and a 6". They are not as accurate as the Smiths, evidently because Colt made them in both .22LR and .22MAG and used the same bore dimensions for both. But I gather that they are at least as accurate as the common mill-run Single Six.

As to value in today's market, forget it. The DBKs all sell dearly, the .22s especially so. I haven't seen one priced under $800 in the last five years, and most of them are in the four-figure range. Good, used Smith K-22s, on the other hand, can still be found in the $400 range, sometimes even less, and there's no reason to pay over $500 for one.

If you happen to run across a .22 Diamondback in any condition at a price you can afford, snatch it up immediately, before someone changes his mind! If you decide you don't like it, you can turn it over very quickly, and probably with some profit in your pocket. :wink:

ETA: I didn't mean to imply that DBKs are not accurate. MY two aren't as accurate as my Smiths, but it took me a benchrest and extensive testing of three or four kinds of ammo to come to this conclusion. From any normal "field" shooting position, I doubt that two percent of the membership here (or any group of shooters) would be able to tell the difference.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
ranger1, You sound like someone who has to have everything politically correct. This is a great forum, as far as this man is concerned, the best gun forum on the net, irrespective of what firearm you are talking about. As you see, most of the talk is about Rugers and "rightly so"! However, many of us have "other" firearms in our inventory and there are "more" knowledgeable gun people on this forum than any other. As a gunsmith for 44+ years, I have worked on and owned hundreds of firearms of all makes and if I can help a fellow forum member with his/her gun problems, then that is what I do. Fortunately on this forum, we have a very understanding administrator that allows such things. Forget the "political correctness" and just enjoy this great forum!.....................Dick :wink:

ranger1

Buckeye
Pinecone, my intention was not open a can of worms. I have been around firearms all of my life, nearly 40 years of my adult life. I admit, I learn things everytime I read this forum and think it's great. I am no gunsmith, but wish I was many times over. As far as being to politically correct, I learned my lesson from your advice and will refrain from doing it in the future. By the way, I also own a Taurus 94, Springfield Armory XDM, 1911, a couple of S&W revolvers, Bersa 380, FNP-9, Browning Buckmark, Winchester Model 12, Remington 870, and of course a dozen or so Rugers, mainly 22's. :)

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Here's my 941 (.22 mag) and my S&W 34. I agree the Taurus has a terrible double action pull - but I've never fired a round that way..... Single action is just fine.
22revolvers.jpg

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I came close to buying a Taurus 94 once. The D/A trigger was pretty stiff, but I seldom shoot a 22 in D/A anyway so that didn't really matter. The S/A was decent. All in all, I liked the gun. I ended up buying a Ruger Bearcat, but it was simply nostalga. I had wanted one for a long time but just kept putting it off and putting it off. Then as I was looking at the 94 I spotted the Bearcat and decided "why not today?"

I've owned severa 38/357 Taurus revolvers over the years and they all worked fine.

I don't think of this as a "Ruger only forum" really. I just think of it as a place where I can come and find a bunch of people who know a little bit about Ruger guns. If they happen to know about Rugers, it's a pretty good bet they know about other brands too. I've been to a couple of forums where this would be considered "off topic." I don't usually stay there too long.

ranger1

Buckeye
CajunBass, Spent some time in Virginia while in the Army and loved it. Anyway, all brands of firearms are fun to talk about, and the more you have, the better it gets!
Like the old slogan says, "If you know how many guns you have, you don't own enough of them."

Latest posts