sure love my borescope...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
got back from the range this weekend ( been WAY too long), and i was cleaning my ar, and inspecting my handy work with my fabulous hawkeye borescope (thing is amazing). anyway, i always finish up with j-b bore paste, and when i got to the gas port, i saw something in there that didn't look right... YES! bore paste was in the gas port. i sprayed it out with cleaner, re examined, and it was clear, SO, two morals to this story: 1, clean your gas ports after cleaning with bore paste, and, 2, GET A BORE SCOPE. these things are amazing. if you think you have a good barrel, and you think it's clean, you're probably wrong. 8)

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Big 10-4 on that one, wife got me one for Christmas.

Had found a miracle solvent that seemed to do wonders on bores, actuality was not so much. Cleaned some more with the "miracle stuff", added brushing as they claimed you only needed to patch.

Still dirty..... used Butches Bore Shine, followed their cleaning procedure and got the barrel clean after patching - brushing and patching again.

What you see with that thing is downright amazing! Picked up a AA (2 battery) LED MiniMag Lite and used it to replace the incandescent one that came with the borescope, makes a huge difference for a lot less than the optional one from Gradient Lens, figured I'd pas that along. Picked the MagLite up at HomeDepot.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've had a borescope magnifier for several years. They are another good tool if you have a few firearms you want to keep detailed info on and or study for damage etc.
One thing,,, is how often many people find that their favorite firearm they THINK is clean or rust/pit free is NOT that way.
It can make you freak out finding your guns are not as "nice" as you think.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I actually own 2 of them now. One,,, yep,, expensive. The other,,, good for hobbyists,,, look at the Lyman line. About $250 or so. It has a digital screen to view things, and you can even store data on a SD card.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I've been wanting one. Please recommend a good one. All I saw was priced a grand or more.
i got the bottom of the line "hawkeye", still ~750.00. i got mine from brownells. it is a really nice piece.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
steelshooterco said:
What you see with that thing is downright amazing! Picked up a AA (2 battery) LED MiniMag Lite and used it to replace the incandescent one that came with the borescope, makes a huge difference for a lot less than the optional one from Gradient Lens, figured I'd pas that along. Picked the MagLite up at HomeDepot.
thanks for that- i'll give it a try. the add ons for the hawkeye are super expensive.

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
Check on epay for borescopes. I purchased one that plugs into the usb port on my computer - now they have ones that plug into cell phones. And, they are cheap! I paid $16 for mine, albeit a low-end model, but higher-end ones are still quite reasonable.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Diamondtreo said:
Check on epay for borescopes. I purchased one that plugs into the usb port on my computer - now they have ones that plug into cell phones. And, they are cheap! I paid $16 for mine, albeit a low-end model, but higher-end ones are still quite reasonable.
Thanks! I'm headed there now with a cup of Maxwell House! After looking ebay, there are several. Hooks to computer, smart phone, very cheap. But, Lyman sells one for around 200.00. I trust the Lyman name. So I bought. Sinclair- Brownells was first place I looked. We know they are top quality. Best in business

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
cleardatum said:
got back from the range this weekend ( been WAY too long), and i was cleaning my ar, and inspecting my handy work with my fabulous hawkeye borescope (thing is amazing). anyway, i always finish up with j-b bore paste, and when i got to the gas port, i saw something in there that didn't look right... YES! bore paste was in the gas port. i sprayed it out with cleaner, re examined, and it was clear, SO, two morals to this story: 1, clean your gas ports after cleaning with bore paste, and, 2, GET A BORE SCOPE. these things are amazing. if you think you have a good barrel, and you think it's clean, you're probably wrong. 8)
You use jb paste every time you clean your gun after a range session? Your killing your gun with kindness! Lol

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
the gun is young. i use the bore paste less and less as the barrel gets easier to clean. another advantage of the borescope- one can immediately discern if a cleaning method is effective, or maybe even damaging. in my meager experience, it would be nigh impossible to hurt a barrel using j-b, when used propah.