Striker question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I got away from shooting for awhile and quit reading gun forums for a couple of years but I'm back with renewed enthusiasm.

I'm interested in an SR9 but have a question. When a Glock is loaded the striker is partially cocked. On a XD the striker is almost completely cocked. How is it with the SR9 and also the Smith M & P.

This next question I should probably post in the Reloading section. I've only reloaded for .45 acp. I want to get set up for .38 spl/.357 mag. Can .357 mag dies be used to load both or do I also need .38 spl dies?

I've been reading a lot of forums lately and this is one of the best. Thanks.

edgalang

Bearcat
haymaker said:
I'm interested in an SR9 but have a question. When a Glock is loaded the striker is partially cocked. On a XD the striker is almost completely cocked. How is it with the SR9 and also the Smith M & P.

Can't say about any of the others...but the SR9 internals are very similar to Glocks. So with that said, when you pull the slide back, the striker is partially cocked.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
The SR is at half cock once it it is cycled fully. The Glock is actually at more like 3/4 cock. The XD and M&P are both fully cocked and use a true sear release the striker. Unlike the SR and Glock which are classified as DAO pistols and the XD and M&P are SAO pistols.
Hope that helps
Eric

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Glocks are listed as DAO for import point factors, how Springfield gets to their points, I don't know but all imported handguns are graded on a point system for import.

Heck, Glock use to put adjustable target sights on their guns to reach the point level and remove them once in the U.S..

...that being said, attributing SA, DAO or SA/DA action to a striker fired gun is a run around a tree with a tiger. It's mechanics and semantics, a Glock is halfcocked and Springfield is more than that, let's say but a Glock has a shorter pull, a bit stiffer but shorter and an XD has a longer pull because the gun is fashioned it that way. They aren't hammer fired and they can be made anyway the designers choose. The spring tension needs to be held in place and the let off is whatever it is but none of them release a hammer to a firing pin.
Just because our government regulators don't know a hammer fired gun from a striker fired one doesn't mean we shouldn't.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
I think I get what cheez is getting at but I also know what's happening on the pistol as far as the FEDs are looking at them, they look at it from chambered. But taken from the revolver aspect I'd say all striker fired pistols I can think of except the double strike tuarus pistols should be considered SAO due to they must be cycled to set the system. I edited my post to reflect that good point, cheez hadn't thought of it compared to revolvers.

If you'd like to read about the import regs as mentioned here is a good read about the law over it.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
38 spl. and .357 mag. use the same dies, it will list both on RCBS die sets. The sizing die is adjusted the same but the expander and seating die have to be set for whichever your loading. Most sets include a spacer ring that can be used when loading 357 mags so the dies don't need to be readjusted when switching from one to the other if a similar bullet is used.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
cjs1945 said:
...Most sets include a spacer ring that can be used when loading 357 mags so the dies don't need to be readjusted when switching from one to the other if a similar bullet is used.

1. If the distance from the forward edge of the bullet to the cannelure or crimping groove is the same for both bullet designs. Similar is not good enough.

2. If the difference in your brass length (special vs magnum) is the same as the spacer thickness.

I have yet to find brass that meets that criteria. I end up trimming revolver brass to a common length after it's been foired once. Even new brass from the same bag has enough variance that crimp is inconsistent. For the spacer to work, I'd have to trim brass for that spacer offset. No thanks. It takes me all of 45 seconds to set the seating depth.

waterwolf

Bearcat
With regards to single action/double action only. USPSA and IDPA take their designations from the BATF. The BATF designations are not right, but they are what they are.

Glock, M&P, SR9 are considered double action only. Trigger pull moves the sear a little bit to release the striker, hence double action.

Springfield XDs are considered single action only. Mainly because of their advertising effort as a "sweet single action trigger".

For us gaming, this can affect your purchase decision. An XD will put you in a different division, mainly competing with 1911 9mm. Bad compete.

Latest posts