Start of Factory Fired Case

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I asked this question after looking at a P series gun that was listed as NIB that had everything except the little envelope with the fired case.
There would then be a second question for you collectors, does a missing factory case matter for a collector?
Just to beclear, I'm just a shooter/accumulator, not a collector.
Thanks
Bfly

hittman

Staff member
You should send a PM to member Chet15 .... he will likely know the dates.

I think the govt mandated those and then dropped it but don't remember for sure.

A true collector would demand the whole package ..... lucky you there ain't a lot of serious P series collectors. I think a shooter or accumulator (like me) couldn't care less.

contender

Ruger Guru
The fired case being included was due to a few states (I think Mass. was one,) that required a fired case be sent to the buyer's LEO dept when the gun was sold. Ruger started adding the fired cases in all guns,, so that any that went to these states could be in compliant with the law. After several years of not a single crime being solved using the tracing of a fired case back to a gun,, the law was changed & is no longer a requirement. Ruger stopped shipping the empty cases. So, a gun could have shipped with the fired case but it not be with the gun due to the jurisdiction it got sold in.
I can't recall the years,, but it was a stupid thing to do.
As a collector,, most of us don't care as much,, but we prefer to have it,, if it was shipped with it. But we understand if it's "missing."

in the beginning of the cases being provided by Ruger for whatever "government rules or regs) some of the cases were actually "proof" load cases red painted bottoms. and I felt it was nice to know the gun was actually test fired ( proofed?) and this date and time were written on the case envelope,,,hell this info is BETTER than a factory letter..... 8) :roll: :wink:

no, not sure of the actual date or start of this STUPID "law", as when implemented and NO never solved ANY actual crime, and almost as bad as them wanting to put a imprint on the firing pin nose !!!! yes , some states still want this! :shock:

This is from a 7 November 2015 Baltimore Sun article.

Millions of dollars later, Maryland has officially decided that its 15-year effort to store and catalog the "fingerprints" of thousands of handguns was a failure.

Since 2000, the state required that gun manufacturers fire every handgun to be sold here and send the spent bullet casing to authorities. The idea was to build a database of "ballistic fingerprints" to help solve future crimes.

But the system — plagued by technological problems — never solved a single case. Now the hundreds of thousands of accumulated casings could be sold for scrap.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed," said former Gov. Parris N. Glendening, a Democrat whose administration pushed for the database to fulfill a campaign promise. "It's a little unfortunate, in that logic and common sense suggest that it would be a good crime-fighting tool."

The database "was a waste," said Frank Sloane, owner of Pasadena Gun & Pawn in Anne Arundel County. "There's things that they could have done that would have made sense. This didn't make any sense."

Johnnu2

Hunter
NY State, had the same kind of law starting in 2000 (not sure of this date); the outcome was the same. This article was from 2012
(2 yrs after the law had been passed):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
With virtually no public notice or legislative debate, a centerpiece of ex-Gov. George Pataki's controversial multimillion-dollar anti-gun-crime program was shot dead Friday by Gov. Cuomo's new state budget.

The budget killed off the so-called CoBis, or Combined Ballistics Identification System, which was rolled out with much fanfare by Pataki in 2000 in what was widely seen as an attempt by the politically ambitious Republican "moderate'' to appeal to anti-gun Democrats nationally, possibly for a future presidential run.

Pataki claimed CoBis would use state-of-the-art technology to establish a "DNA database for handguns'' by requiring manufacturers of new semiautomatic pistols to file spent cartridge shells with the State Police, so that their markings could be kept in a traceable registry and compared to any found at crime scenes.

Trouble is, the Pataki program NEVER worked. Despite the hundreds of thousands of spent shells submitted, not one criminal was ever captured using the extensive and costly-to-maintain database, state officials concede.

"We are ending a program that doesn't solve crimes or make our streets safe,'' said Cuomo spokesman Josh Vlasto.

"That's what we said would happen from the start,'' crowed Tom King, president of the New York Rifle and Pistol Association and a National Rifle Association board member. "I think Andrew Cuomo is a very intelligent guy who didn't want to waste money, and this wasn't working."

Vlasto said CoBis cost about $1.2 million a year, but King said it was more like $40 million because of equipment, staff and related expenditures to get the system up and running.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the end..... everything revolves around money and re-electability... Cuomo enacted severe gun control legislation (in 2012) in a state that already had severe gun control legislation; and he did it in an overnight legislative vote when 'nobody' was present in Albany....
J.

chet15

Hawkeye
Looks like 2000 is the answer.
I wouldn't have been able to remember that. Would have figured I would have wrote it somewhere in the reference but it isn't there.
Chet15