Stag gripmaker needs newer SA grip size info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigmtnman

Bearcat
Ruger has lost me as to what grip frames fit what after the New Model 2005 Vaquero and new model Flat Tops. I have a 2005 Vaquero that I have made grips for and know they also fit the commerative .357 and .44 flat tops. Does that grip frame size fit any current Single Sixes ? What current frame/frames other than that are out there and what all do they fit ? What SA Ruger would you suggest I purchase to fit stag grips to that is in demand ? ...Help...I am LOST !

caryc

Hawkeye
What you're talking about is the New XR3 steel grip frame first brought out with the New Vaquero in 2005.

I am a grip maker myself and as far as I know the following guns use that smaller XR3 grip frame.

New Vaquero

New Vaquero (Montado)

.357 & .44 mag Anniversary flattops

.44 special flattop - both the Lipsey models and the now regular Ruger cataloged gun

So if it is a New Flattop, it will have that New XR3 grip frame on it. You know of course that flat backed grips for these frames need a recess in the back to clear the locks, right?

The regular Blackhawks and Single Sixes have the internal locks but they still use the XR3-RED sized grip frames on them.

One sure fire way to tell which frame your customer has is to get him to measure it's width. The New XR3 grip frame is .437" in width whereas the rest of Ruger's plow handle grips are still .500" in width.

What's in demand from me mostly is the New XR3 and the XR3-RED. With the New XR3 currently being the most called for.

bigmtnman

Bearcat
Thanks for the info....but they only cover up to the new 2005 Vaquero frame. I know there is a newer frame that does not require a recess in the grip for the lock. Also, that site does not note what models have the same grip frame. What does the current mfg Single-Six share a grip frame with ? Does anyone have info on what post 2005 Vaquero and 5oth Anniversary frames there are and what models have them ?

caryc

Hawkeye
As I said, the currently produced Blackhawks and Single Sixes with alloy grip frames have locks in them, but they are still the XR3-RED sized grip frames. I don't know of any of the stainless grip frame that have locks in them yet except the stainless New XR3.

If it's a "New" flattop or a "New Vaquero" it has the small XR3 grip frame. If it aint one of them don't worry about it.

Currently produced Blackhawk and Single Six still use the old XR3-RED sized grip frame.

bigmtnman

Bearcat
Thanks Gary...so you are saying the current Blackhawk and SS take the XR3-RED.....or XRN-3RED grip but have to be recessed for the lock?

caryc

Hawkeye
bigmtnman":3rdg9b8b said:
Thanks Gary...so you are saying the current Blackhawk and SS take the XR3-RED.....or XRN-3RED grip but have to be recessed for the lock?

Yes they have the XR3-RED sized grip frames on them. No they do not need recesses for the locks.

The locks are .480" in width and the grip frames are .500" in width. No recess needed.

Latest posts