SR9c range report, XS big sights and Ultimate trigger con.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Hello all,

I am happy to report that I took my SS SR9c to the range this evening. I had a couple of mods on the pistol that I wanted to check out. Recently I had the XS Sight Big Dot system installed. Additionally, I installed a Ghost Ultimate trigger connector yesterday. I put 250 rounds, 2 boxes of Speer Lawman 115gr, 2 boxes of American Eagle 124gr and 1 box of Winchester 147gr., downrange. First off, the pistol performed without a hiccup of any sort, not even a belch. The Ultimate trigger connector certainly smoothed out the trigger action. The XS sight system enabled me to quickly acquire the target. It seems that my only problem is that I evidently drift to the left just before firing. I had decent groups, but they tended to shift to the left. Prior to going to the range, I checked out the sight alignment with a laser bore sight, it was right on. So... it seems that I need to concentrate on my actions just prior to pulling the trigger. I will say that I am really starting to enjoy this pistol. It is a dream. I would like to express my appreciation to all of the forum members for their thoughts and comments about the SR9c pistol and assorted mods. Now, I am looking forward to working on my own technique, the pistol seems ready for any action.

Cheers,
boomer :D

PointNshoot

Bearcat
most shooters go left,myself included thats 100% trigger control
or lack there of......Im always trying to improve the low and left deal,its tough!

You shot 3 weights of ammos,which did you like better and why ?

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
HELLO BOOMER,

Sounds like a very nice set up on your SR9c! I had those XS Sights on a P-95 years ago, and I loved 'em. They are F_A_S_T!

By the way, I lived in Western Washington back in 1980, Mt.Vernon and I worked up in Bellingham. Definetly God's country back there!

How's about sum pics of yer SR9c please?

A.W.

recoilguy

Bearcat
Nice post and it is refreshing to see that you realize the shooting left with the new sights may not be the fault of the new sights. Trigger control is learned and not as easy as it may appear to be. Good luck and have fun with your new weapon!!!

RCG

john16443

Single-Sixer
boomer1 - did you install the XS sites yourself and how difficult was it? Special tools or fixtures required? I'm guessing the rear was a simple drop in.

Thanks;

John

boomer1

Single-Sixer
PointNshoot":23c2v1y8 said:
most shooters go left,myself included thats 100% trigger control
or lack there of......Im always trying to improve the low and left deal,its tough!

You shot 3 weights of ammos,which did you like better and why ?

Hey PointNshoot,

Thanks for the comments. You ask an interesting question about the different weights of ammo that I shot. I used all three to check out the new pistol and the modifications that I had installed. My thinking is to use the 115gr for general practice (cheap and readily available), the 124gr because it matches my personal defense rounds (124gr Rem Golden Saber), and the 147gr because I was just running the pistol through its paces. I have read some web talk speaking about the pros and cons of the 147gr, so I felt obliged to run some through my SR9c.

Cheers,
boomer

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Anthony Williams":2qm60kun said:
HELLO BOOMER,

Sounds like a very nice set up on your SR9c! I had those XS Sights on a P-95 years ago, and I loved 'em. They are F_A_S_T!

By the way, I lived in Western Washington back in 1980, Mt.Vernon and I worked up in Bellingham. Definetly God's country back there!

How's about sum pics of yer SR9c please?

A.W.

Hello A.W.,

You had positively commented on my sights in a previous post, now I know why. You are right, they are FAST!!!

You are right, western Washington is a great place. You probably wouldn't believe all of the growth in the Mt. Vernon/Bellingham area ! They are talking like Bellingham being a bedroom suburb for Vancouver, BC, and Skagit County is growing like a weed!

I would like to post some pics as soon as I figure out how to post them.

Cheers,
boomer

boomer1

Single-Sixer
recoilguy":302nx7tl said:
Nice post and it is refreshing to see that you realize the shooting left with the new sights may not be the fault of the new sights. Trigger control is learned and not as easy as it may appear to be. Good luck and have fun with your new weapon!!!

RCG

Hey RCG,

Thanks for the good comments. Yea, I have a couple thousand rounds of 115gr practice ammo to work on my trigger control. I just joined this new gun club that is about 1/2 mile from my home. I am looking forward to putting some rounds downrange with my new pistol.

Cheers,
boomer

boomer1

Single-Sixer
john16443":69q4waxr said:
boomer1 - did you install the XS sites yourself and how difficult was it? Special tools or fixtures required? I'm guessing the rear was a simple drop in.

Thanks;

John

Hey John,

You ask a good question. I have done my share of shooting firearms, but I am not very proficient at installing the sights, nor do I have the proper tools. I had the expert gunsmith at my local gun club install them. He charged me $20 to install them, and he did a superb job. The XS website has an excellent video to aid in installation.

Cheers,
boomer

jhearne

Buckeye
Nice review, and I too pull my shots down and to the left.

Hope to see some pics, as for how to get some taken and posted: click me!!

Enjoy the SR9c!

Josh

boomer1

Single-Sixer
jhearne":3smwxj0u said:
Nice review, and I too pull my shots down and to the left.

Hope to see some pics, as for how to get some taken and posted: click me!!

Enjoy the SR9c!

Josh

Thanks Josh,

I will be getting in contact with you regarding posting pics.

Cheers,
boomer

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Josh,

Thanks for the link and the info. I am getting ready to go on vacation, so I may have to postpone my photo session until I return.

Smiles,
boomer