SR9 lower camblock pin issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Just got back from the range to day. As my wife was shooting the SR9 I noticed that the lower camblock pin was working its way out. I pushed it back in and everything seemed to be just fine. Now that I am home the pin slides out of its hole with out any resistance. In one end out the other. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Up until this point there hasn't been a single issue. Two years and about 1500-2000 rounds without an issue.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Nope. If it suddenly got that easy while you were watching your wife shoot it after 1500-2000 rounds without an issue, it sounds like you have some kind of sudden, serious trouble and I'd send it back in an abundance of caution. Ruger's customer service number is listed right there on their website. They'll send you a shipping label. Heck, if you're in Arizona you might be able to drop it off and pick it up.

john16443

Single-Sixer
Have you taken these pins out for ANY reason recently? Take a look at Josh's "HOW TO" videos that are stickied at the top of this forum. I have a feeling that the little L shaped spring that is designed to hold the pins in place may be the problem. Also, the pins in this area may be the same diameter, but they have notches in them in different locations, they may not be installed in the correct locations. Just some thoughts...

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I never have taken it out. Never had a reason to. It is weird that it just happened. Last month at the range there was not any problems. Only day. Looks like I will give Ruger a call on Monday.

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
azlcp said:
Just got back from the range to day. As my wife was shooting the SR9 I noticed that the lower camblock pin was working its way out. I pushed it back in and everything seemed to be just fine. Now that I am home the pin slides out of its hole with out any resistance. In one end out the other. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Up until this point there hasn't been a single issue. Two years and about 1500-2000 rounds without an issue.

You might have lost or damaged the O-ring in the cam block,for what ever reason.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
Which camlock pin came loose? The one forward of the takedown pin uses the O-ring for retention. And the two rearward of the takedown pin uses wire springs for retention.

jhearne

Buckeye
Probably the middle pin, held by the crooked spring. If it were the forward-most pin, it's likely to have some applicable friction, even from a broken or torn O-Ring....plausibility of the O-Ring being torn from everyday shooting, highly unlikely....unless you tossed the gun in a freezer.

It's probably not the rear-most pin either, the spring that holds it in place is also part of the Slide Stop Torsion Spring. If it were to break or not apply enough force to hold the pin, you might notice weakness in the Slide Stop's action.

The middle pin however is held by a spring that sits in a shallow channel and can come out on it's own, although it's rare. You can check it's function easily if you have a pin punch, 5-10 minutes and a little patience. Check out my how-to and partially remove the Camblock to check the condition of that spring. You can get away with only ordering a new retaining spring if that's what's wrong.

Josh

snapon1973

Bearcat
yep my cam pin actually flew out on my last round fired at the range i took it to the gun shop and it wouldnt stay in. so sent it back to ruger and they replaced the camblock assembly and camblock spring so just send it back they will fix it.

edteach

Bearcat
Got my SR back from Ruger, they had it to fix the cam block pin falling out. I took it to the range and after ten rounds it was half out, pushed it back in and after ten more rounds it was half out again. Ruger wants me to send it back, I figure if they can not fix it after building it and then fixing the specific problem it may be time to go to the M&P I have been looking at.

nick1234

Bearcat
Same thing happened to me with my SR40.
I purchased the gun a few months back and after shooting it for the first time I noticed the pin was missing after my session. I sent it in to Ruger and they had my gun back to me exactly 14 business days after they received it. They said they fixed the issue. I shot it twice since then and yesterday I noticed the pin working it's way out.

I own the LCP as well and was looking forward to buying the SR9c however I am no longer confident in the quality of Ruger products so I too will have to start looking at other brands.

lonestar

Bearcat
Wow, that's exactly what happened to my brand new ruger sr9. I had only used it twice. I came home from the range after the second time using the gun, started to clean it and noticed the lower cam lock pin was gone! Considering this was my very first hand gun purchase ever, this was very dissappointing and alarming. I took it back to the gun shop I bought it from, and they have shipped it back to ruger to get it fixed. I will let u know how it goes when I get it back. Is this a common problem with the sr9? Was yours eventually fixed?

nick12345

Bearcat
Hi guys this is Nick1234. I forgot my password and the email address I registered with is a work email that I no longer have so I created Nick12345 :)

Anyways, I sent my Ruger SR40 in for the second time. I included the previous work order they sent me and a detailed letter how the camblock pin walks out on it's own. It was promptly returned to me 3 days later and the paperwork stated "could not replicate issue. no parts repaired. no parts replaced" Needless to say I was furious. I called and spoke to the technician who worked on it and he told me he did in fact change a small spring but "it is so minor they don't bother stating it was replaced on the paperwork". I said if that is the case why was this not resolved the first time I sent it in? And he said he guy who worked on it last time is no longer working there.

This was about a month or two ago and I have not fired the gun since. I plan on selling this gun. That type of customer service simply does not give me any trust in the product. I purchased another brand since then and couldn't be happier.

Chad86

Bearcat
Can anyone post a pic of this pin that is coming loose so I can watch mine. I have a new sr9 and its my first semi auto so I don't know the parts well

nick12345

Bearcat
It is the one closest to the left of the takedown pin.
ruger-sr9-9mm-black-414.jpg

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I took mine apart for a detail cleaning the other day and was surprised at how easy the pins come out. Never had a problem with them, fortunately.

Strife

Bearcat
I have the SR40 and having the same issue with the lower camblock pin walking out. I noticed after my last range time that it was missing. Are there any other sites besides Ruger.com that sell these parts? They won't take orders of less than $10 and they also don't sell the spring(I couldn't find it on the website).

Also... what is it really hurting to not have the lower camblock pin. The slide rail is extremely sturdy and I don't notice any change in the function of the gun without it.

Thanks!

/edit - found the parts here : https://www.gunpartscorp.com hopefully they come through, although they were 2x as expensive as the ruger site.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
A call to Ruger will more than likely have the parts heading your way free of charge. Word of warning with numrich your more likely to get the wrong part than the right one. Never had good success ordering anything from them.