SR9 - Cannot Remove Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rk9989

Bearcat
First of all, thank you all for the great forum. You have been helpful in my decision to buy a Ruger.

I just bought a new SR9. It has never been fired. In trying to field strip it for its first clean/lube I cannot get the barrel to come out. It slides freely forward and back, but the tip of the barrel will not come out. I have watched several videos to confirm that I am doing it correctly. I haven't tried any tools yet, since I didn't want to damage it. Will it loosen up after I put a few rounds through it? Any suggestions?

Simms65

Bearcat
Wiggle it a bit more at some different angles maybe? I've seen a few pistol barrels that seem to be sticky in the slide when they are new from multiple manufacturers. I bet changing the angle you are trying to pull it out at and not being afraid to put a little force on it would pop it right out of the slide. You certainly aren't going to hurt it just using your fingers to push/pull.

jhearne

Buckeye
You could be over doing it, no tools required!

To remove barrel:

1) remove slide from frame
2) remove guide spring assembly from slide
3) push barrel forward just a bit, 1/4"-1/2" or so
4) grab barrel by the camblock pivot (the part coming off the bottom)
5) pull barrel up and out of the slide

If you push the barrel too far into the muzzle end of the slide, you can put the barrel in a bind and it won't come out at all. If you don't slide the barrel far enough forward, it's going to catch on the breech face.

If you're able to freely slide it, nothing should be wrong with the parts and you may just be missing something in your process.

Josh

mn_doggie

Bearcat
Are you even able to get the slide off the pistol?

Do you have a manual?

There is a lever inside (ejector)that has to be in the correct position before you can get the slide off.

It sounds to me like you locked the slide back, removed the takedown pin without properly pushing down on the ejector. The slide will move back and forth with the barrel still in.

Did you push the ejector all the way down like the manual says?

Danno

Bearcat
If you've managed to jam the ejector against the slide - which will prevent the slide from being removed - you can reach up through the mag well with a dental pick or even a small Allen wrench held by needle nose pliers and pull it down to the correct position.

Do his while you apply some back pressure to the slide. Once you free up the ejector and get it in the right position, you'll be able to remove the slide and barrel.

You won't hurt anything.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

rk9989

Bearcat
I am able to remove the slide without any problem. I first removed magazine, locked the slide back, pushed the ejector lever down, removed the takedown pin, removed the slide, and removed the spring. No problem with any of these steps. At this point the barrel slides freely forward and back, but as I try to pull it out the tip of the barrel won't go through the hole on the front of the slide.

rk9989

Bearcat
Thank you all for your help. I finally made it work. In the end, I just had to push a lot harder than I had expected and twist/jiggle it quite a bit. :D