SR9 Black Ice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I went to my local gun shop fully intending to buy a P95, but they had a SR9 "Black Ice" model that really caught my eye. I suppose it is no different than any other SR9, other than cosmetically. The slide is a very glossy black, as if it has been polished, and it has "Limited" on the left side of the slide, and "Black Ice" on the right side. It seems in all other respects to be the same as the regular SR9. It was $20 more, but I thought "what the heck" and bought it. The also had a SR9 with the OD Green frame, but it was $60 more because it has been discontinued...it would have been nice to get it too, but I couldn't.

Does anyone know anything more about these Black Ice models?

209Man

Bearcat
pop_wm_2389622.jpg

nice looking gun

GKC

Blackhawk
209Man said:
pop_wm_2389622.jpg

nice looking gun

As soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I will...not saying that man will be better than yours, though.

In person, the slide is much more "polished" looking...it is a very shiney black, if you know what I mean.

Mike J

Hunter
Here is a tutorial for posting pic.'s http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51390

jhearne

Buckeye
Basically they're putting a nice polish on the Nitrodox coating. Functionally it's no different than your standard blackened or stainless off the shelf SR9. If you like how it looks, pull the proverbial trigger :)

Josh

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am thinking that this is most likely a bad idea:
i just thought, it would look sweet to Armor All the polymer frame and give it a nice shine...
just to look at and put on display.

i dont know how good that would be for the frame though, and i would imagine that it would be horrible trying to keep a good grip.
i dont think it would damage it, but you never know....

clp gives a nice shine sometimes too, though... hmm....

GKC

Blackhawk
Gunsby_Blazen said:
i am thinking that this is most likely a bad idea:
i just thought, it would look sweet to Armor All the polymer frame and give it a nice shine...

i dont know how good that would be for the frame though, and i would imagine that it would be horrible trying to keep a good grip.
i dont think it would damage it, but you never know....

clp gives a nice shine sometimes too, though... hmm....

I don't know about Armor All, but I can tell you that a silicone rag isn't a good idea on the frame. I was wiping down the slide on my Black Ice model (which shows a finger print if you even wave at it) and made a pass on the frame as well...not a good idea. The grip now feels very slick. Not impossible to grip, but more slippery than it was. I will be doing some rubbing on the frame with a dry rag before I try to shoot this pistol.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Gunsby_Blazen said:

Just wondering how you display a handgun? Mine are either in the safe or in a holster.

+1 :roll:

GKC

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ said:
Just wondering how you display a handgun? Mine are either in the safe or in a holster.

I don't know...I guess if I had a room to make into a vault, and I had a lot of very nice guns, then I could display them...and just lock the vault door when I wasn't home. However, I don't own that many guns, and while some of mine are "nice" by my definition, none of them are rare or expensive (except to me.) Plus, when I am away from home, they are in the safe, because I wouldn't want to be displaying them to a thief!

2ndamd

Bearcat
Man oh man is that a sweet looking gun!

I just bought three Rugers but, if I see that Black Ice model around locally? I'm going to get it.

Thanks for the heads up that these are out there.
My wife will cuss at you later for bringing this to my attention :)

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know about Armor All, but I can tell you that a silicone rag isn't a good idea on the frame. I was wiping down the slide on my Black Ice model (which shows a finger print if you even wave at it) and made a pass on the frame as well...not a good idea. The grip now feels very slick. Not impossible to grip, but more slippery than it was. I will be doing some rubbing on the frame with a dry rag before I try to shoot this pistol.

When I read it suggested I was thinking it was probably a bad idea. When I was 16 my Dad got me my first car from the dealership he worked at. He gave an extra $5.00 to the clean up guy to do a good job on it. It was an old Torino with vinyl seats. The next day I took my buddies out for a ride in it & decided to take a curve on the quick side. I slid across the heavily siliconed seat & couldn't get my foot off the gas. I did manage not to hit the telephone pole but it wasn't by much.

[/quote]

GKC

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
When I was 16 my Dad got me my first car from the dealership he worked at. He gave an extra $5.00 to the clean up guy to do a good job on it. It was an old Torino with vinyl seats. The next day I took my buddies out for a ride in it & decided to take a curve on the quick side. I slid across the heavily siliconed seat & couldn't get my foot off the gas. I did manage not to hit the telephone pole but it wasn't by much.

:lol: :lol:

Sorry...I just got a very funny mental image of that.

We have an Expedition with built in running boards on it...they are some kind of black material. I usually step on the running board and then up into the truck...it's a 4 x 4, and a little taller than a standard Expedition. The first time I took it to the car wash, they put Armor All on the running boards as well as the tires...and when I stepped up to get in, my feet wound up beside my head!

Mike J

Hunter
GKC said:
Mike J said:
When I was 16 my Dad got me my first car from the dealership he worked at. He gave an extra $5.00 to the clean up guy to do a good job on it. It was an old Torino with vinyl seats. The next day I took my buddies out for a ride in it & decided to take a curve on the quick side. I slid across the heavily siliconed seat & couldn't get my foot off the gas. I did manage not to hit the telephone pole but it wasn't by much.

:lol: :lol:

Sorry...I just got a very funny mental image of that.

We have an Expedition with built in running boards on it...they are some kind of black material. I usually step on the running board and then up into the truck...it's a 4 x 4, and a little taller than a standard Expedition. The first time I took it to the car wash, they put Armor All on the running boards as well as the tires...and when I stepped up to get in, my feet wound up beside my head!

That's okay. I figured someone would get a laugh out of it.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Looks real nice. But I have heard the term blackened stainless, is that the same as regular stainless with a coating on top?
Like my Sigma Allied forces gun treated with Melonite on top?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Never heard of the black ice version. Looks awesome. :)

Just what I always wanted .... a GUN with a cutesie little name written on the side ...... great ..... :roll:

Sounds like it should be the name of a new perfume ....

REV