SR9 Barrel Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
I posted this question in the Semi Auto forum but it probably fits better here:

I've been doing load development for my SR9 and was getting some very poor accuracy results in a few instances. I don't believe I can blame the gun for most of the accuracy issues, but I looked more closely at the gun anyway. One think I found was this issue with the barrel. The barrel has two lands ground on it, one at the breech and one at the muzzle. The ground land at the breech is smooth and complete, but the land at the muzzle looks like it "didn't clean up". It is smooth and bright around about half of the circumference but it looks like the grinding wheel missed the other side. I'm not sure if this is correct or if I am seeing scuffing from the slide caused during cycling. I can't measure any real difference in diameter around the barrel (maybe 0.0001" if I believed my ability to read a mic that closely) and under magnification I may be able to tell myself I'm seeing grinding marks. Pictures are below.

I called Ruger today to ask them but they were closed or just not answering the phones. I left a message but decided to ask the real experts if I should be concerned. Thanks in advance.

SR9BarrelTopView_zps29515c1f.jpg

Top View
SR9BarrelBottomView_zpsea3de0b0.jpg

Bottom View

old gun guy

Bearcat
it looks ok, all autoloaders will have different wear in that area. try to clean the bore well with a good copper solvent. make sure no copper has fouled bore. i wouldn't polish it at all. if you do you may find your accuracy is worse and have to get a new barrel. mine has the same marks and is very accurate. you could try a lapping compound in the bore, but clean well after doing such. try to shoot it more and see what happens before lapping. after you lap it ruger might not touch it. mine got better over time. about 500 or so rounds. try ruger again and see what they may think. i would hate to steer you wrong it cost money to get a new gun.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Pretty sure that looks real similar to mine - after a couple thousand rounds. I don't remember if it looked like that new, but it doesn't seem to affect reliability or accuracy, so I'm not going to fret it until/unless it seems to be a problem. I'm interested if you find anything out about it.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Never got a callback from Ruger and never called back. After a lot of looking and plndering, I've convinced myself that I'm just seeing where the barrel rubs the side during firing and that it's not a problem. It's changing the surface finish by removing the shine but not changing the size.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
After looking at my SR9, I believe what you are seeing is the difference in the shine of the top half vs the bottom half on the muzzle end of the barrel.
That is a minor wear marking because the barrel tips during cycling. So the contact of the barrel to the slide will be different for the top and bottom.