SR 22 feeding failures

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3006BAR

Bearcat
I found my SR 22 handgun to experience feeding failures. I suspected that it was due to the gun being able to consistently handle standard velocity ammo and perhaps the incorrect recoil spring. I returned it to Ruger and when I got it back it said they found no issues, perhaps I had faulty ammo! But they did replace the recoil spring. I still can only use high velocity ammo to have it function properly. Anuyone else have similar issues?

bradepb

Bearcat
I use high velocity in mine. I believe the gun is designed to run ammo in that range. I have tried hyper velocity (1500 fps rated) and the gun jams. I have not tried standard velocity as I believe that is not intended for semi-autos. A Semi needs ammo in a certain range to cycle the slide properly.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Yeah, just like said above, a semi-auto rimfire seems to have a "range" at which the bolt needs to operate. Too slow, no go. Too fast, and the bolt flies right over the next round in the magazine.

Most of my .22 ammo is HV, but I do have about 700 or so rounds of RWS & Winchester SV. I have a 500 round pact of Federal 31 grain Hyper Velocity, but the SV and Hyper I just shoot in my Savage bolt gun.