Squirrel Killer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I had the chance to bowhunt some beautiful SE Ohio woods a couple of weeks ago. One of the men in camp was also a passionate squirrel hunter and his weapon of choice a Ruger Mk Hunter.

This is his rig.

DSC00094.jpg

He took a five foot Hickory sorting stick and ripped it full length and making a hinge at the top. Then the most interesting part. He took a piece of heavy cowhide, maybe 10oz, and created a brace shaped to the pistol grip. He wet formed the leather to fit the grip. When the leather was dry he then soaked it in Locktite to make it stiff.

I am going to quit writting now as my computer will not allow me to see what I am typing and I suspect the typos will be very offensive.

Pierow

Blackhawk
I was about to ask you several questions about this set up but looking closer I now see the hinge created by the nut and bolt which attaches to the brace. What a good idea and for sure a stable shooting platform.

I looked into purchasing some shooting sticks and like many things was appalled at the prices for such simple items. I went into the forest near me a grabbed a few of the straighter sticks I could find and attempted to split them starting at one end using a chisel. I was able to get a good split out of one them then used some flax twine to create the hinge. I made a shorter set as well for shooting in the prone position. Works for me.

Pierow

EVR

Single-Sixer
We shoot a lot...a lot...of ground squirrels with pistols. GREAT pistol practice.

ruger22squi.jpg

hgvarmint2.jpg

29squirrel.jpg

44RugerSquirrelsjpg.jpg

RangeDayHike44Squirrel.jpg

Baitshootingsig.jpg

FMJvarmint.jpg

hgvarmint1.jpg

toksquirrel1.jpg

BHP1.jpg

Latest posts