Speer Grand Slam

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up some of these on sale 150 grns. 30 cal figured I give them a try.

I'll be loading the in 308 trouble is been having trouble finding data for these,
my go to powder for the 308 is Varget seeing up here one can go from 90 in
the summer to -10 for deer season it also seems to be accurate for what I've
been doing.

If anyone can share a recipe or two it will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ps

I don't see that they're much different (construction wise) than other cup and core bullets. I think I have about 1/2 gallon each of 150 and 165 GS but haven't been loading much 30 caliber lately.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
You can't go wrong with 45gr of Varget behind any 150gr 308.
Varget is the only powder I use in my 308. And I like Winchester brass.
Winchester brass has the largest case capacity then Hornady Match, Remington & last Federal. I can't speak for any other brand, commercial or military.
For instance I think theirs data out there for a 125gr. ballistic tip using I believe 52gr of Varget. Well I'm here to tell you that I doubt you could fit 49grs in a federal case let alone 52grs.

Shotter11

Bearcat
My Speer Reloading Manual #14 has a load. The starting charge for a 150 gr. GS SP with Varget is 43.0 grains. The maximum charge is 47.0 which is listed as a compressed load. Velocity is listed as 2632 fps and 2856 fps respectively out of a Remington 700 with a 22" barrel.

Thanks for the confirmation just like to be certain before proceeding. I checked the Speer
web site they did not have any loads using Varget. My manuals had no loads for that
specific bullet. I'll load a few with 45grn. and give it a shot. Thanks again. ps

hogan

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
Thanks for the confirmation just like to be certain before proceeding. I checked the Speer
web site they did not have any loads using Varget. My manuals had no loads for that
specific bullet. I'll load a few with 45grn. and give it a shot. Thanks again. ps

Varget is very similar to IMR 4064. Most manuals will list the 4064, and I would guess that you could use the 4064 recipe with your Varget without any trouble.