SP101 trigger does not return

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldmustang

Bearcat
Have been dry firing my new SP101 with a 4.2" bbl. Sometimes in double action dry firing the trigger does not return. If I touch the trigger from the side it pops back. Does not happen in single action firing. What needs to be polished?

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I had a similar problem on my new RH .45 Colt/ACP. I have a good friend who is very savvy with Ruger revolvers clean it up. Problem soon returned, worked on, and so on. Eventually it got to the point that the entire trigger system just "locked up" and the trigger would stop about half-way back. I had to send it back to Ruger (unfired!); they didn't send a report of what work was performed, but I believe they replaced the entire trigger assembly (it looks like it fits better than it did previously). I haven't had a problem since.

My advice - Let Ruger fix the problem. THEN spend time on a trigger job. It would be a waste to spend hours polishing a turd, just to have Ruger replace it, then do it again.

oldmustang

Bearcat
BPGuy said:
I had a similar problem on my new RH .45 Colt/ACP. I have a good friend who is very savvy with Ruger revolvers clean it up. Problem soon returned, worked on, and so on. Eventually it got to the point that the entire trigger system just "locked up" and the trigger would stop about half-way back. I had to send it back to Ruger (unfired!); they didn't send a report of what work was performed, but I believe they replaced the entire trigger assembly (it looks like it fits better than it did previously). I haven't had a problem since.

My advice - Let Ruger fix the problem. THEN spend time on a trigger job. It would be a waste to spend hours polishing a turd, just to have Ruger replace it, then do it again.

Well, being a DIY guy I went ahead and used the Trigger job guide first as suggested by the members above. Being a new pistol, it didn't want to disassemble easily, but I got it. Followed the step by step guide and then it came time to reassemble. The pawl spring was "fun", took two or three tries but I got it back together and it cycles good now. I will advise if the problem returns. Thanks guys for the advise.