Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Spurless hammer

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Aftermarket grip

Votes: 41 46.1%

• Total voters

9x19

Hunter
Different main spring (a bit lighter) and a good internal polish are all I needed done to mine.

OysterMan

Bearcat
Polished up the internals and installed reduced power springs (10# main and 8# return). Mine came from the factory with the CTC grips but lately I've been thinking about getting some grips that fit my hand better and then maybe installing a Meprolight or HiViz sight.

nirbhao

Bearcat
First post, this looks as good as any place to put it.

I picked up a first-year 3" .38 Special SP101 (SN 570-36XXX) on Saturday for a somewhat (I thought) inflated price that I managed to talk down $31.50. No box, no papers, just a remarkably unused Triple K holster to boot. It doesn't look to have seen hard use, just two "squiggles," one on the cylinder and the other spanning the frame and the trigger guard assembly that look like typical automobile seat buckle marks. Other than that, it's pretty clean, with only the very, very lightest of turn lines in the cylinder.

Since I've read that these are evidently shorter in both cylinder and frame, and in one post described as an "oddity," would it be sinful to send it off to get a melt treatment and other work? Or isn't there enough of a difference in the value to justify putting it up, especially since there's no box and no papers? And if I do send it off, is there an advantage to sending it to Gemini, or would a quality local 'smith suffice? I've got a guy with a national reputation at the end of a short drive who does bang-up revolver work, so saving the back-and-forth freight charges is always a plus.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

chup

Bearcat
I installed the XS Standard Sight, Hogue Grip, thinned downed the trigger and also narrowed it, and polished the exteriorof the Gun. I also dry fired the living snot out of it until the trigger became smooth.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Tritium sight – DONE
Crimson trace grips – DONE

Modified semi-bobbed hammer – Work in Progress
Wolff Spring kit and trigger job – Next after Trigger

De-burr all sharp edges and bead blast – Last on List

Bluto

Bearcat
My understanding is Ruger won't sell an SP101 hammer as a part. You have to send them the gun to install a spurless hammer?

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Yes that was the same understanding I had also. Was able to pick one up off private individual.
But I do see them on fleebay and gunbroker from time to time.

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
I have a SP 101 in 327 Fed And wish it had an elevation rear sight and a dovetail front for windage . That would be fine to shoot 32 H&R S&W or plink 32acp .

eveled

Hawkeye
Bluto said:
My understanding is Ruger won't sell an SP101 hammer as a part. You have to send them the gun to install a spurless hammer?

It would be nice, if they sold the gun with both hammers. That way you could decide which you like and switch back if you changed you mind. Ed

eveled said:
Bluto said:

It would be nice, if they sold the gun with both hammers. That way you could decide which you like and switch back if you changed you mind. Ed

That would be nice but in this lawsuit happy nation they won't for liability reasons.