Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Aftermarket grip

Votes: 41 46.1%

• Total voters

6gun

Hunter
Wheelyfun44 said:
6gun said:
Mine is great as is from the factory, wouldn't mind some stag grip incerts if I can ever find some I like, I sure wouldn't waste any money sending it off to Gemini for unnecessary mods. that aint goining to make it shoot no better.
The Gemini mods DO help it shoot better, if you are a fan of WAY smoother trigger pull, slicked up internals, deburred action, and a consistent 10LB trigger pull.

Other than that... :roll: , Gemini is a waste of cash!

Yup that what I mean about unnecessary mods anything other than action work is a big waste, pretty don't shoot better keeps them from wanting to shoot cause they might scratch something or get it dirty, I get my good smooth action from firing the gun a lot using it for what it was made for.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
6gun said:
Wheelyfun44 said:
6gun said:
Mine is great as is from the factory, wouldn't mind some stag grip incerts if I can ever find some I like, I sure wouldn't waste any money sending it off to Gemini for unnecessary mods. that aint goining to make it shoot no better.
The Gemini mods DO help it shoot better, if you are a fan of WAY smoother trigger pull, slicked up internals, deburred action, and a consistent 10LB trigger pull.

Other than that... :roll: , Gemini is a waste of cash!

Yup that what I mean about unnecessary mods anything other than action work is a big waste, pretty don't shoot better keeps them from wanting to shoot cause they might scratch something or get it dirty, I get my good smooth action from firing the gun a lot using it for what it was made for.
The only thing "pretty" about the Gemini work is the bead-blast finish. That bead-blast finish is only done for one reason: the Ruger is given a melt-job, which eliminates sharp edges, which in turn serves to make it a much better carry weapon. The bead-blast is only applied in order to hide the tool marks that occured in this process. And bead-blast is the cheapest "finish" there is!
My Gemini SP101 is a daily carry revolver, and will see more practice time than many people's revolvers will. When/if the "pretty" is beaten down on it....my local gunsmith will put it in his box for a 40 dollar bead-blast finish.
Stay tuned for a range report later today.....

6gun

Hunter
The edges are fine and not sharp for me, aint no one going to do that ugly bead blast to none of my guns. :x

Thel

Blackhawk
Action smoothing and lightening along with taking off the sharp edges especially on the hammer and trigger help a lot. I sent the gun off for tuning by Teddy Jacobson and it came back with a 9lb DA pull which is a big improvement over the 14lb pull it had out of the box. Sight replacement with something along lines of gold bead patridge or XS standard dot also go a long ways toward improvement. I change the grips to avoid bashing the knuckles, round off sharp edges of the trigger, chamfer chambers for easier speed load, chamfer cyl. front for easier holstering, put a XS tritium sight up front for quick pickup. If I don't use the spurless hammer (I have one also) I modify the thumb pad by rounding off the sharp edges and dull the checkering slightly.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I installed a spurless hammer, smoothed the internals, installed the Wolff spring kit, and changed out the grip insert.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
Came with a bobbed hammer, sent it in to be Magna-ported...I like it...the guy in the next lane at the range don't as it throws the sounds to the side now! Added some Crimson Trace Lasergrips & it has been my "go-to" gun for several years now! Could not be happier with it! :mrgreen:

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I did say "zero modifications" in my first post, but I really didn't think installing 12# Wolff springs to replace the 14# factory springs as a modification .... that's just a premature "break-in" procedure. I also used a file to knock off the sharp edges of the hammer spur ... another premature "break-in" procedure. Other than that, just a lot of dry fire and occasional detail stripping to hose out the residue from the "break-in". They slick up quite nice with a little use, and get even better with a lot of use. I can't believe it took me so many years to discover the SP101 was the ultimate "field gun" for my line of work.

surv

eveled

Hawkeye
Red River Bob said:
Crimson Trace laser grips. The grips fill my hand quite nicely and manages recoil well. Look great on my .357 Stainless Steel model.

That is the only mod I made, I would have bobbed the hammer, but mine came that way. :D Ed

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
LbA3V0w said:
wwb said:
Slick up the trigger a bit, and walk away happy.

How? What about the trigger needs improvement?

What about the trigger doesn't need improving? Mine's the worst DA trigger I own. But it's soooo much better than it was the way it came from the factory. So my vote is do a trigger job and put on a decent grip. I like the Hogue grips myself.

OneMini

Bearcat
If you do want to slick up the trigger and you're confident of your DIY gunsmithing skills, and you have the minimal tools required, there is this excellent guide:

http://www.teslamap.com/public/sp101_trigger_job/index.html

I did it a few years ago, it did make a difference. Also like the Hogue rubber monogrip, but YMMV.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Offer a blued, 38 Special, 2.25" and 3". I would buy about 12 of them. Well, ok, at least 1.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I smooth up sharp edges with a little 600 grit wet/dry paper, since sometimes triggers and the trigger guards can be a little sharp. Also polished up the internals using toothpaste on one that seemed a little gritty.

I have installed a Wolff spring for about 2# reduction in the 3 SP101s I have. I haven't had any failure to fire problems at that reduction level and it smooths things out a good bit.

Aftermarket grips are nice for appearance, all of mine have wood panels now, but not a necessity for function/performance.

I recently got a SP101, 3", .357 Mag that had Crimson Trace grips on it (got it for a REALLY good price). Not sure about the laser sight, right now it appears (I haven't had the time yet to actually do the measurements) that it is set to coincide with the sights at 15 yards. I'm used to just using iron sights (or fiber optics, etc.) so I'm not sure about the laser. It's a bit disconcerting that at 7 yards when I do a normal 6 o'clock hold with the sights that the dot isn't where the sights are. I need to get out there and see what is actually happening on the target if I strictly use the laser.