SP101 mainspring replacement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bluto

Bearcat
I recently bought a used SP101. I've got a "pack" of Wolff springs on the way. Whats the lightest mainspring weight I can go with that supports reliable ignition. Arthritis is effecting my finger joints.
Also what about a Pachmayr grip?

Thanks, Jim

DPris

Buckeye
You'll need to try each in your own gun.
They can vary, no concrete answer, and the caliber (rimfire vs centerfire) can make a difference, too.

What about a Pachmayr grip?
There are several options, that's one.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
.357 is slightly less temperamental about mainspring strength than the rimfires, but there's enough variation between guns to still require you try each spring in your own.

Badger grips & Hogues in either rubber or wood are popular. Might check with Herret's & see if they'll build you a set to fit a tracing of your own hand for the SP.

Denis

Bluto

Bearcat
Thanks for replies, and advice. Oh goody! The mailperson just dropped off my springs.

Thanks, Jim.

ou_lc9

Bearcat
I have the SP101 hammerless and I just put in the 9# spring and shot it today. Shot 40 rounds and had no trouble. The trigger was nice and light. I will measure the actual weight tomorrow but it worked very well today with the 9# spring. I did not change the trigger return spring.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I put the Wolf 12# mainspring spring (stock is 14#) and the replacement trigger return spring in my .357 SP-101 and ignition remains 100%. Maybe I could use a lighter spring but I'm more concerned about FTF problems than the lightest possible trigger pull.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
I put the Wolf 12# mainspring spring (stock is 14#) and the replacement trigger return spring in my .357 SP-101 and ignition remains 100%. Maybe I could use a lighter spring but I'm more concerned about FTF problems than the lightest possible trigger pull.

ditto on the 12# springs.

I tried the 10# springs in my SP101 and they felt a bit "sluggish" just from dry fire. I didn't even consider giving them a range test and immediately swapped the for the 12# Wolfe springs. Very noticeable difference, and perfect function after probably 1000 rounds.

OysterMan

Bearcat
Back in '07 I got the Wolff Shooters Pack and installed the 10# hammer spring and the 8# return spring and I haven't had any issues with ignition. Last time I checked the pull weight was 9lb, 3oz DA and 3lb, 7oz SA.

chg

Bearcat
I settled on the 12 pound spring for my replacements, mine, wife's, & daughter's. Worked great in all 3 revolvers. Test functioning in double action, if it's going to miss, it will most likely do so in da.

Thel

Blackhawk
My SP101 has been tuned but with the 9 lb mainspring and 8 lb trigger return spring the DA measures 8.4 pounds. With the 10 lb mainspring in it and the 8 lb return spring the DA is a bit over 9 pounds. Sometime back I recall a test of a SP101 in, I think, "Combat Handguns" that had an action job and really light springs that gave a double action pull of about 7.75 lbs but there were a number of misfires. On small frame guns it seems the low 8 pound range is about the minimum workable whether Ruger, Smith or Colt.

Latest posts