SP101 loads for POA/POI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Greetings all. I realize this has probably been covered before but I couldn't find it. Anyway, does anyone know what load Ruger uses for their SP101's for POA/POI? I was out yesterday and with the two loads I had with me shot very low. One was a .38 sp light load for target/practice. (158 gr swc over 4.6 gr unique) The other load was developed for hunting/self defense and it also shot low. (158 gr jacketed soft point over 14.5 gr 2400 with cci 550 mag primer) Distance was from 6 yards to about 15. The GP100 that I just picked up did fine with both. So, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

cwegga

Bearcat
It will depend on the gun and your grip. Generally people seem think Ruger has things set up for a 158gr load in .357, but with my SP101 and my hands POI intersects with POA with 180gr heavy loads.

Generally the faster the bullet or the smaller the recoil the lower the bullet will shoot. With a heavier bullet and/or more recoil the bullet is in the barrel as it swings up higher, so it hits the target higher.

SR-SP101

Bearcat
Mine hits poa with my 125 grain .357 mag handloads. I guess the best way would be to try out loads until you find one it likes.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
cwegga, I knew about the faster/lighter bullets striking lower due to velocity, that's why I was surprised that the slower 158's that I shot struck so low. I would have thought that they'd hit higher than they did. I kind of wondered what Ruger started out with. It seems that you don't just cut a rear sight groove and throw a front sight on and hope to hit a target. I also wondered what range they set this up for. As others have said in different threads, you aren't really expecting to shoot target groups at 25 yards with what is basically a self defense gun. However, I would expect to hit poa at 6 to 11 yards. I guess part of the "fun" will be to see which load she likes and shoots best with. Gives me a good reason to spend more time on the reloading bench.