SP101 ammo question??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Just bought a Rugar .357 SP101 with a 4 inch barrel. I need some ammo advise and I don't care about the price, I want the best stuff. For home protection, a friend recommended the Hornady 38 spcl. 110 grain FTX Critical Defence ammo. Any thoughts?

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Thanks Gramps! I live in an apartment so I am concerned about shooting through a wall if I have to defend my family. Any other input would be great. Anybody think that the Hornady 110 Gr 38spcl critical defense ammo has any negative issues?

If you hit what you are aiming, penetrating the wall won't occur. That particular round in JHP wil preclude over penetration. It sounds like you have your heart set on the other. Good luck.
gramps

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I'm partial to Federal Hydra-Shok; I use 158 grain.

If you reload and it for home use only; I like the 148 gr hollow-based wad-cutter inverted, with 3 grains of Bullseye. This is what I used when I lived in an apartment in Florida.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
All of the major manufactures make 'self-defense' ammo that has been well tested and approved by many police agencies.
I think Federal Hyda-Shoks and Speer Gold Dots have the major part of the market but there is nothing wrong with the Hornady and it has just a little bit newer technology with the polymer in the hollow point.

btw I carry Federal 38 Special +P 129 Grain Hydra-Shok in my SP-101. It is what I shoot best.

Practice lots with any cheap ammo that that hits to the same POA. :D

schloss

Single-Sixer
Yeah... you're going to get a lot of personal opinion on that question. I don't know that you'll ever be able to find a factual answer. All the replies here have been good, as far as I am concerned. I just don't know that there is going to be one ultimate answer. We all use what we trust.

Since you're talking home protection, have you ever dropped the hammer in an enclosed space, like a hallway or small room? You should be able to find MOUT training sites at a range somewhere, so you can experience it. It's the reason a 22lr is my home protection weapon.

But, I digress. Things get pretty dicy once you start considering what's beyond your target. Good luck on your quest. Having something you can shoot well is the most important part of all this.

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Thanks for all the feedback! I welcome all the different opinions. It's giving me multiple options to look further into. Have ammo now but want the right stuff for that 1% chance I have to defend.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
When I was choosing my self defense ammo, this is what I did (caution not cheap):

I bought one box of several different brands. Loaded the cylinder or magazine from one box then shot it. Repeated using a different target for each brand.

Then when I was down to a few rounds of each I mixed them all together and shot them all at one target; what this did was help to eliminate any bias that I might have had.

Compared the results, then bought several boxes of what I liked with the same lot #.

My LCP liked the Hornady Critical Defense the best,
the SP101, 4" barrel like the Hydra-Shok,
and my P89 likes both the Hydra-Shok and Gold Dot,
and then my P90, it shoots the same with everything for some reason.

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Age Ranger..thanks for the input. Can you be specific on the the hydra shock that you felt worked best for your sp101. 38 or 357 etc.

Thanks

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
357 magnum 158 gr.

I prefer heavy bullets for self-defense; when asked why, I just shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't know".

stevemb

Hunter
Look at Speer Gold Dot, short barrel. If you have access to Winchester Ranger loadings, in some places it is LE only. Its worth a look too. stevemb

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Just got off the phone trying to order .357 ammo, so far nothing available. The guy suggested Speer Gold Dot as well for his first choice. I have never heard of that brand but it must be good stuff.

Thanks

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Finally found some ammo. Bought a bunch of Winchester .357 mag SuperX 158gr jhp. Gave up on 1st 2nd place choices etc. Hope this stuff is good enough. I bought it for home protection and wild pigs at the ranch. Any feedback?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cali2Tex said:
Finally found some ammo. Bought a bunch of Winchester .357 mag SuperX 158gr jhp. Gave up on 1st 2nd place choices etc. Hope this stuff is good enough. I bought it for home protection and wild pigs at the ranch. Any feedback?
That is some top quality 'traditional' self defense ammo and excellent hunting ammo. The Semi-jacketed hollowpoint works well in all tests except penetrating objects like glass and steel. The 158gr 357mag is going to give you a bunch of recoil in an SP-101. Hold on tight. :D

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
.357 mag Hornady critical defense 125 gr for the last two years for me.

1. Anything that will penetrate a human torso will also penetrate two sheets of drywall. You can't have it two ways.

2. So, if you want to prevent your loved ones from getting hurt, buy something that you can shoot accurately and will put the bad guy down quickly with the minimum number of shots. Keep in mind that you are not the only one shooting through the walls so the quicker you can stop him the better. Also, the more times you have to shoot, the more chances you have to miss and shoot through a wall. But, again, you need to be able to shoot the round accurately.

3. 158 gr bullets have a not so excellent record for expanding. Just youtube Speer Gold Dot Ballistic Gel 158 gr. Really.

4. Muzzle blast/flash is often a concern. I haven't tested it, but I'm sure you'll be blind and deaf after shooting the 38 or 357 indoors so what's the point?

5. Hornady critical defense expands quickly and probably the most reliably. Since barrier penetration will not be an issue in apartment defense, reliable expansion I feel is the biggest issue.

Cali2Tex

Bearcat
Got it figured out. Now have Remington 38 Spcl+P 125 GR brass JHP for home protection. The heavy Winchester stuff will be for the pigs. Thanks for all the input! Bye the way, just got my SP101 back from the engraver and it looks amazing. If you are interested in western engravings, Google Jim Downing the gun engraver to see pics of his work. Jim is the best engraver I could find, I actually shipped my gun from Houston, Texas to Springfield, Missouri to get it done. Tried to post a pic of the finished product but this forum wouldn't let me without permission from a moderator.

Thanks again!

OysterMan

Bearcat
In my 2.25" SP101 I carry the Speer Short Barrel 38spl +P 135gr GDHP. I think the Corbon 38spl +P 125gr HPs are a good load also, but you really can't go wrong with any factory made quality self-defense ammo, IMHO.