SP-101, .357, Grips!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SgtSam

Bearcat
Are the stock grips on the SP-101 the best that's out there for taming recoil or is there something better? If so, what?

Thanks. :)

hittman

Staff member
I'd say the stock grips are second best to Trausch.

However, for me at least, factory grips are best for concealed carry.

Trausch are pretty sticky but if it's your range gun ~ you'll appreciate them.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
The rubber Hogue Monogrip is way better at absorbing recoil. After one range session with the stock grips I bought the Hogue and it's great. Like Hittman says, the stock grip is more concealable but I carry with the Hogue OK.

And now I have an excuse to post this picture again! Here's me shooting a max load of H110 & a 125 gr JHP, in comfort with the Hogue Monogrip:

patmuzzleflash640x380.jpg

Stoots

Buckeye
patcannon said:
The rubber Hogue Monogrip is way better at absorbing recoil. After one range session with the stock grips I bought the Hogue and it's great. Like Hittman says, the stock grip is more concealable but I carry with the Hogue OK.

And now I have an excuse to post this picture again! Here's me shooting a max load of H110 & a 125 gr JHP, in comfort with the Hogue Monogrip:

patmuzzleflash640x380.jpg

Great pic!

:D

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I prefer to keep it original grip, for the better concealment, and just use a padded shooting glove when target shooting.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
I've tried factory, Hogue, Pachmayr, Uncle Mike's and Trousch grips on my 4" SP101. I hated the factory grips, the Pachmayrs filled my hand better and were just as concealable without being too "sticky". For non-carry use I prefer the Trausch although the Hogues were not bad in my hands. The Uncle Mike's just didn't fit my hands very well. Grips are very personal because your hands shape and size are unique to you. You really have to try several grips instead of relying on someone else's opinion.

4x5

Bearcat
dfletcher said:
I like the Pachmayer Compact round butt on my 101, I was surprised how well it soaks up the recoil.

+1 on the Pachmayers. Best grip I've found for the SP-101

Laker

Bearcat
As was mentioned earlier, everyone is different so find what works for you. Me, I like the Hogues.

Athanasor

Bearcat
Halfway through my first box of ammo with my new 2.25" Sp101 I went to the counter of the gunshop/range I frequent and bought a Hogue Monogrip. 500% improvement.

cwegga

Bearcat
patcannon said:

It all depends on your hands. Personally I find the Hogues less comfortable than the stock or the Trausch grips. Just try the different options, there aren't very many and you can pick them up one at a time for $15 and turn them around to get money for the next until you find the perfect fit.

RobfromME

Bearcat
I,too, like the Hogue grip. Last weekend I shot 100 rounds of 357 Mag (135 gr GDHP, 158 GDHP, and some 2400 with 140 gr Rem SJHP) and 20 rounds of 38+P (125 GDHP). No discomfort like when I shoot my S&W 640 with the same stuff. A couple cylinders and I've had enough with the Smith.

The Hogue also allows a much higher grip on the gun and that helps a great deal with the recoil.

I haven't tried any other grips, but haven't really needed to...the Hogue is great.

Warmest regards,
Rob