sonic cleaners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

any ruger

Blackhawk
anybodys thoughts on sonic cleaners and witch ones are better and why. I know this could go on forever but just some help and your opinons . not wanting to take a lot of room jiust want your thoughts.

tomisu

Bearcat
I like mine, but I bought too small. Since my purchase I discovered the one from Harbor Freight - price is good, it heats the solution (nice feature) and it has a 2.5 litre capacity (also nice) and the price is less than I paid for my small Hornady unit.

I am considering buying the Harbor Freight one and giving the Hornady unit to my wife for cleaning jewelry.

Harrison_Creek

Bearcat
I purchased the Lyman. I think it is the same as the Harbor Freight just with the Lyman name. My local gun store had the Lyman kit that came with a couple bottles of solution and was about $10 more than the Harbor Freight model.

I really like the sonic cleaner. I am very anal when it comes to cleaning my brass. I tumble it, decap it and clean it in the sonic cleaner. The brass looks almost like new. I also tried skipping the tumbling and decapping step and just cleaning the brass with the sonic cleaner but the solution gets very dirty quickly due to leaving the primers in.

I have also used it to clean some gun parts and it does very well.

I bought an Industrial unit at the SHOT Show for handgun/small parts cleaning. I use a non-phosphorus (phosphoric acid removes blueing) engine degreaser with a sodium hydroxide base 1:16-1:8 mix. Seems to work well. I cleaned a Rem 11-48 trigger assembly to like new, a Kahr MK9 that had been riding in my pocket for 3 months, H&R revolver, the chamber and choke of the Rem 11-48. the cleaning solution looks like black mud now. I filtered it a couple of times to remove large particulate matter. The cleaner that came with the unit is $5 per 8oz bottle. Can't afford that stuff. I haven't tried it with cartridge cases yet.

MidLife

Single-Sixer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUjBSbEopV_-TazfsEvc8eBw&feature=player_detailpage&v=vJY9UCXqXrA

Thanks for the info on th vinegar and soda cure for the brass cleaning. I made an electrolytic case cleaner for brass cases once using phosphoric acid as the electrolyte (info from a chemist). It left them frosted but cleaned the cases in about 5-10 seconds without making them weaker. By the way I did this 15-20 years before the "Foul Out" was patented by Outers.