Ultra Sonic case cleaners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I have the Hornady sonic cleaner and it works well for me. make up my own solution using distilled water
just a bit of vinegar and some dish detergent.

Harbour Freight an other sells all kinds and sizes sure something is available
for double duty. I believe they are all pretty much the same whether it is
case cleaning specific or not.

Cleaning gun parts probably be a good idea to dry them in the oven or
blow them off with compress air. Moisture in crevices and tight spot would
be disappointing. ps

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
The ones from HF usually have a low sided basket compaired to the ones from a reloader supply. The rest of the machine appears to be identical.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I've been using a Hornady 2-liter ultrasonic cleaner for almost four years. It's wonderful! Until recently I used it only on cases, but just the other day I cleaned the 75-year old crud out of the slide of a WW2 Czech pistol. I only use the Hornady chemicals; they surely are cheap enough, and can be used several times. I don't tumble at all, because the cleaner does ALL the work.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I've been using a Hornady 2-liter ultrasonic cleaner for almost four years. It's wonderful! Until recently I used it only on cases, but just the other day I cleaned the 75-year old crud out of the slide of a WW2 Czech pistol. I only use the Hornady chemicals; they surely are cheap enough, and can be used several times. I don't tumble at all, because the cleaner does ALL the work.

veeman

Single-Sixer
So far I'm not too impressed with the RCBS Solution. Some cases clean, others not so much. I think it may have something to do with how many times the brass has been fired.

Sin6Sec63451022

Single-Sixer
I've been having a go-round with my vortex type vibrating tumbler using green corncob for .223 brass. I've been putting some cleaner wax for cars in it and it's worked pretty OK, but I wanted to getaway from the wax finish. So, I discovered Brasso. It's GREAT!!! Of course it is! It has ammonia in it! Which I find out is bad for brass. So I get past that episode and get some Lyman polish compound and have yet to try it. It will probably be good. But, another problem I fight is getting the corn cob out of the cases. It's no problem with pistol or larger rifle case, but those .223's are just perfect to jam up tighter'n a bull's butt at fly time. The cases come out really clean and smooth (purty, too) but they are a real hassle. So, I'm thinking about an Ultra sonic cleaner. Can they do as nice of a job as the vibratory cleaner?

yes they can. I use a hornady lock-n-load sonic cleaner and it works great with their solution. I first deprime all brass so as to get the primer pockets nice and clean. No more flash hole plugged with tumbler media for me. The cases turn out looking factory new. I then run my cases in a second sonic cleaner (a smaller unit I got from e-bay) with hot water for a minute and then allow to dry. You could also just rinse them under hot water I suppose .

My friend got one of those wet tumblers uses tiny Stainless Solid Cylinder.
I was very impressed with the job it does, even primer pockets are spotless.

The only supplies one needs is a few drops of Dawn Dish detergent.
Very impressive brass looks brand spankin new. ps

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-154-wet-tumbling-brass-for-more-bling/

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I bought 500 .45 ACP cases from a guy who had run them in an ultrasonic cleaner and yes, they were almost like new brass. They also required a little harder pull on the progressive press handle and an occasional dab of case lube, much like new brass.

It's too much hassle for me. I use walnut with a touch of red Jewelers Rouge and a capful of NuFinish car polish. Almost as good as ultrasonic, but not quite.