Soft market?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
gewehrfreund said:
Well, I suppose any of us are buyers if the right thing comes along at the right price.

Just curious, what are you buying (and please don't tell me it's striker fired pistols and black rifles)?

I can't say I've not purchased black rifles and striker fired pistols, because I have. :oops:

To name a few...I've bought a Mini Thirty, AK-47, 77/357, three shorty Super Blackhawks, a couple New Model Flattop convertibles, a birdshead Vaquero, a Ruger American Pistol, a S&W Shield, a 40th Anniversary RCA Flattop, and a few Security/Speed Sixes. I do cover many bases, but it's safe to say, more revolvers than anything. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

OK, you're forgiven. :lol:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
gtxmonte said:
I would find that Swift to be the exception, other than the rule. I have sold 5 Number 1Vs in various calibers over the last several months and gotten exactly what you would expect them to bring

That's good to hear. I hope it holds true when I start selling mine. :wink:

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Just curious, what are you buying (and please don't tell me it's striker fired pistols and black rifles)?

I don't mind strikers...I buy what I like, not what other people like or want. That said, here's the list:
P89, P90, P94, P95, P345, 9E, RAP9, Jericho 941, LCP, 870 Express, AR556, Air Magnum 22, Barnett Jackal Crossbow and a wrist rocket! :lol:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
This year I've only purchased two firearms. The first was a Ruger Hawkeye with a 20" barrel as a wedding gift for a future son-in-law. Hopefully he will get to use it antelope hunting with us this fall but the wedding isn't until March or April which is when he will officially receive the rifle. (If no wedding, I have another rifle.)

The other is a 'black rifle'. Or rather the restricted part, a stripped Aero M5 lower receiver. Also a stripped Aero M5 upper. This will get built up into a functional rifle over the next few months but probably won't be complete until next spring. (No hurry on my part, as you can tell.)

Might pick up another 'black rifle', a stripped AR-15 lower, just because they are relatively cheap and that may change quickly after November. Don't need one as I have two complete ARs in .223/5.56 and .300BLK. Any such purchase would simply be a protest vote on my part. (Hell, I might even get two.)

Correction. I've bought three rifles this year. Forgot about the first, a used Savage 11FXP3 in .243 Win. Couldn't pass up the $295 price tag. It has proved to be a tack driver and will likely go antelope hunting this fall.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Regarding the 'soft market' there comes a time when more is not better. The last thing I need is another handgun or rifle.

When it comes to AR's I have two, .223/5.56 and .300BLK. Fun, and i'm building a .308 as well but other than for scenarios I hope to never encounter, not really practical for my shooting. My two semis and a lever in .22LR are more practical than my ARs. Have a Ruger 16.1" .308 Scout rifle as well. At least it is fairly practical for my general needs, which is mostly targets and hunting.

Hunting rifles? more than enough. My first was a 7mm RM back in 1982 and I've never needed anything else since then. What are all those other rifles doing in the safe? Is three .30-06's REALLY enough? Maybe someday i'll move to an area where the limited range of my Marlins (.30-30, .375 Win, .45-70) really isn't a limiting factor. Sure, I've used them to hunt antelope to elk but my bolt rifles are a better choice. Picked up a used .243 earlier this year and it is a tack driver (exactly what I expect from a Savage), but it won't do anything my .257 Roberts can't do just as well or better. My .300WM and .338WM are great choices for elk but as I get older I'm realizing that a .308 Win would have taken every animal I've ever shot. Love my old 7mm RM and it's newer brother, a .280 Rem. My 6.5-06AI was custom built for 1200 yard shooting. It is death on clay pigeons at 600 yards but I've never shot it at ranges longer than that.

Handguns? Semis in .22 short, .22LR, .25ACP, .380, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP. If they cant do the job I'm doomed. Revolvers in .22LR/.22WRM, .327 Fed, .38 SPL, .357 Mag and .44 Mag. Tell me why I need more?

Muzzle stuffers? Why do I have two when I haven't shot either one in years?

Hell, instead of buying more I'd probably be better off if I sold a bunch. Or gave some away to my daughters.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'd give some of mine away rather than try to sell them if I had worthy recipients. My daughters don't have any interest (or time) right now, and I'm not close enough to any of my other relatives to consider them.

Things may change when I can retire and have more time to reload, shoot and tinker with all the things that are being neglected right now.

The real problem is that I've run out of room, and I'm getting complaints about guns showing up in places around the house where they haven't been before.

This year I have purchased fewer than I have sold. At this stage in my life that is good. In the future I will give some to my Sons and sell the rest to provide my wife and family additional income at my passing.

All that being said I have purchased a DAO SP101 snubby, Glock 43, 77 flatbolt, Browning Hi-Power, Colt King Cobra, S&W 66 snubby, red eagle Standard Auto, MKII Target, Rossi 92, Remington 582, 44 Carbine, and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Standby; there is 4 months left in the year!

Dave

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I have about 30 I need to get rid of...........all are wood and blue, so I guess I will see if the market is soft. I have 5 more Number 1s that need to go, several lever guns, some Redhawks, other bolt guns........just stuff I don't shoot and don't plan on

As far as buying, I still buy about as much as ever and the same type stuff. I haven't found any of them to be screaming deals. As to what those might be, it's certainly not striker fired black pistols. I don't have one, don't need one and don't want one............LOL!!! I also have an AR and an AK so don't need any more of those either. My purchases are generally single actions or heavy barrel bolt guns

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
This is just about par for the course for me.

I need to turn a bunch of No. 1's into cash for a piece of property I'm buying. Figures the market turns when I need to cash out...

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
If blue and wood has gone out of favor, I wish the sellers would start dropping prices back to where it will move them. I have been watching one particular rifle for months. Not one change in price down and no bids. There needs to be an incentive to get sellers who want to sell, to drop their prices back to what the market will bear. Re-listing at the same price for 8 months is not going to sell that rifle to me.

I may not need any more. But I want more.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
BucolicBuffalo said:
If blue and wood has gone out of favor, I wish the sellers would start dropping prices back to where it will move them. I have been watching one particular rifle for months. Not one change in price down and no bids. There needs to be an incentive to get sellers who want to sell, to drop their prices back to what the market will bear. Re-listing at the same price for 8 months is not going to sell that rifle to me.

I may not need any more. But I want more.
That's up to the seller and depends on HOW bad they need to move it. I have several for sale and they will bring what I want, or I will hang on to them until they do. They aren't eating anything...........LOL!!!! Also on that continuous relist thing, eventually somebody will likely decide to buy it, if they find nothing cheaper anywhere else. I know, because I have done it. Find something I was looking for but thought it was too high. If I don't turn up anything cheaper in a relative amount of time and am still sure I WANT one, I pay the price. Everything runs in cycles. Because wood and blue may be down now, doesn't mean it will stay down

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
As stated earlier, I have a BUNCH I'm looking to sell. Probably about 34 or so.

Some are non-prefix, some kinda rare and others just nice No. 1's.

I hate to part with ANY of them, but they aren't making anymore land!

I'll probably keep 10 of them and sell the rest. If anyone is interested in a list of them, let me know.

Thx,
Todd

Weezerj

Bearcat
bigskyguy said:
As stated earlier, I have a BUNCH I'm looking to sell. Probably about 34 or so.

Some are non-prefix, some kinda rare and others just nice No. 1's.

I hate to part with ANY of them, but they aren't making anymore land!

I'll probably keep 10 of them and sell the rest. If anyone is interested in a list of them, let me know.

Thx,
Todd

Shoot me a PM with what you have....

Are you located in MT? I have family in Bozeman (I'm from Lewistown) and am planning on a spring ground squirrel hunt.