solid or skeletonized?

• Skeletonized

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Solid

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

eveled

Hawkeye
I find that I like the look of the solid, GI trigger on 1911's. Am I alone on this?

I guess on a light weight carry gun every fraction of an once counts, but on a full size steel gun, I like the looks of a solid trigger better. Flip side is I like the skeletonized hammers, go figure.

dakota1911

Buckeye
The nice thing with a 1911 platform is that you can pretty much have it your way most the time.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't do "fluff".
That said though, all solid triggers are not created equal....nor are all "fluff" triggers.

What I'm getting at is that some stuff is made to sell, some stuff is made for using.
To me, the important thing is that whatever style ya like is made well.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
I like the solid triggers if they're short, like the original GI trigger. But my preference in any 1911 is a flat mainspring housing and a long skeletonized trigger. I can't stand the arched mainspring housings at all, but if I'm forced to use a gun with the arched housing, then I would want a short solid trigger.

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
There's actually a reason for the "skeletonized" trigger, but without getting into it, not one 1911 shooter in 500--maybe one in 1000 or more--has actual need of that reasoning.

I find them to be a styling affectation, like "aero wings" on the back of a car that will never see the far side of 80 mph. :roll: All my 1911s have solid triggers, except one that I put together out of castoff and junk parts--it has a three-holer that I took off another (better) gun and replaced with a solid.

If your trigger is made of aluminum (and all of my long triggers are), the holes don't actually do you much good at all. As I said, they're mainly for looks these days. (They're also lint collectors.)

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Should have the option of "don't give a flip either way". Mine are skeletonized, because they came that way. It's not something I care or think about. I don't think a skeletonized trigger is fluff. I think changing from either one to the other is fluff. :mrgreen: OTOH, you should have it the way you like it, fluffy.

Brian48

Bearcat
When I was younger and into the whole "customization" thing, I'd probably opt for the skeletonized trigger. These days, I am really indifferent.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Anymore it is "six of one and half dozen of the other". Learn to shoot what you have.

UncleEd

Bearcat
dakota1911 said:
Anymore it is "six of one and half dozen of the other". Learn to shoot what you have.

Tsk, tsk, tsk! This is probably the most important question and poll ever posted and you can't sit on the fence, straddle the line, pee in both pots, run forward and backwards, jump one-legged with either leg,
say you like both dark and light chicken meat, split your vote Republican and Democrat, be satisfied with
either a redhead or brunet (we'll leave blondes out of this). Make a decision!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike J

Hunter
UncleEd said:
dakota1911 said:

Tsk, tsk, tsk! This is probably the most important question and poll ever posted and you can't sit on the fence, straddle the line, pee in both pots, run forward and backwards, jump one-legged with either leg,
say you like both dark and light chicken meat, split your vote Republican and Democrat, be satisfied with
either a redhead or brunet (we'll leave blondes out of this). Make a decision!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Dakota so I didn't vote. As far as redheads or brunettes when I was younger I had a serious weakness for redheads. Back then I liked for things to be exciting & intense. After getting older & preferring things to be calmer I wound up married to a woman with brown hair. Sometimes my preferences change.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
The purpose of the skeletonized trigger was too lighten the trigger itself, which theoretically would eliminate the condition known as "trigger bounce" which was believed to cause doubling. The skeletonized trigger itself had nothing to do with lightening the 1911's trigger pull. I like the looks of a skeletonized trigger. Back in the 70's I had California Pistol Smith Jim Hoag, while setting setting up a Colt Commander of mine, install a Gold Cup National Match skeletonized trigger, along with Bomar sights, and complete accuracy tune.

A.W.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
The purpose of the skeletonized trigger was too lighten the trigger itself, which theoretically would eliminate the condition known as "trigger bounce" which was believed to cause doubling. The skeletonized trigger itself had nothing to do with lightening the 1911's trigger pull.
Bingo! No more calls, please, we have a winner! :wink:
I like the looks of a skeletonized trigger. Back in the 70's I had California Pistol Smith Jim Hoag, while setting setting up a Colt Commander of mine, install a Gold Cup National Match skeletonized trigger, along with Bomar sights, and complete accuracy tune.

A.W.
I too put a GC trigger in a 1911 back in the '70s, just 'cause I like the looks. The GC trigger NEEDED that sexy slot, because it was long, it was wide, and it was all steel. Today's aluminum triggers don't need the holes or slots--the weight reduction is virtually nonexistant and if your gun needs those holes in order to not double, something is wrong with it, and it needs to be fixed. :wink:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
I don't like the solid trigger, and I think skeletonized is a huge aesthetic improvement for all 1911s. Solid triggers very much remind me of the hand-me-down ray guns of my childhood:

http://i.imgur.com/5B9pCQP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l5JtX2h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OIvaYeR.jpg

They look chintzy to me.

Snake45

Hawkeye
drastic_quench said:
I don't like the solid trigger, and I think skeletonized is a huge aesthetic improvement for all 1911s. Solid triggers very much remind me of the hand-me-down ray guns of my childhood:

http://i.imgur.com/5B9pCQP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l5JtX2h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OIvaYeR.jpg

They look chintzy to me.
Huh. That's exactly how I feel about "skeletonized" triggers.

Is this a great country, or what? :wink: