Single six old model 3 screw 22LR cylinder info wanted…

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougksells

Bearcat
Hello everybody,

I have a Ruger Single Six .22 cal SN 804765 with a 5.5" barrel, XR3-RED frame, and a .22LR cylinder, appears to be unmodified. I did not get any box or paperwork with it, and I am curious as to dating it, and an opinion as to whether or not I should get it sent in for modifications, etc…

Any info is kindly appreciated!

Thank you,
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_6697.jpeg
    IMG_6697.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6698.jpeg
    IMG_6698.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6699.jpeg
    IMG_6699.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6700.jpeg
    IMG_6700.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 72

dougksells

Bearcat
Haha, yeah, I was definitely leaning towards NOT sending it in, but no, it won't be a daily carry.

Im a fan of single action revolvers and have had many others over the past few decades, but this is my first Ruger, most my others were crappy off brand copies and such…

I'm familiar with cowboy loading, and general gun safety for that matter. I'm just interested in my guns history…

It feels amazing on the hip, and in my hand 😎

contender

Ruger Guru
NICE gun!

Made in 1968,, and was most likely a convertible. Called a RSS5 model.

I agree with the folks above,, leave it alone & enjoy as is. If you did decide to send it to Ruger & have the conversion done,, I'd remove the original parts first. That assures you get to keep the stuff it was made with. And as mentioned,, it devalues the gun when it doesn't have the original parts. A set of replacement parts usually runs about $125.

A spare cylinder in .22 mag can be found if desired. They usually cost about $100-$125 nowadays. All you'd have to do is measure the OAL of your current cylinder, then find one the same OAL or a few thousands longer (so you can hone the boss enough for it to fit.)

dougksells

Bearcat
Thank you contender!

One more question;

The emblem on the handles no longer has the black paint in the logo. Should I leave it that way, or repaint the black? Or what is best to retain the integrity of this gun? Replace grips?

contender

Ruger Guru
Often the paint flakes out of the recessed medallions. Due to the staking method used to seat the medallions in the grips.
Some folks CAREFULLY repaint them, by using the tip of a hat pin, or a very tiny end of a toothpick. I've used the tip of a feather where I've trimmed part of it away to get a little black paint in the very tips of the wings of the eagle. A SMALL dot of paint in the middle, then spread with the tiny tip of your chosen tool, carefully into the wings.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Welcome to our Forum; it's a GREAT place for info and encouragement.
Yes, I'd go with Contender's recommendation and do a little painting.... it can't hurt and will make them look much better IMHO

J.

if need be thin the paint out a bit and let it flow inthe grooves and up the feathers, let sit at least over night, some folks use a lamp but that may dry it fast and cause shrink lines,,,neatness counts and any over lapping paint on the silver around the eagle itself will scrape off very easily with a rounded tip of a knife blade.......easier to do that to type it all out, its been done many "thousands" of the times over the years..:cool:;):rolleyes:

Congratulations, great looking single six. :)

I picked one up 2 years ago about in the same shape as yours maybe worse. It has 1966 serial. It was sold to me as .22LR, but came with the 22 mag cylinder Instead of the 22LR. I sent off for Ruger's LOA and as contender pointed out it turned out to be a 22lr/22mag combo. I picked up a nice 22 mag cylinder for it. Don't remember what I paid, but wasn't much.

It's a regular at the range, and friends along with other shooters always ask to try it out. They are lots of fun.

PS. I don't even shoot the New Model anymore ;)

sixpairlft.jpg

dougksells

Bearcat
Nice! Yeah, I'm going to look for a .22 wmr barrel, and if possible, a box and paperwork, just to complete it. But yeah, it shoots perfectly!