Single Six 8 shot cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I wonder if they redesigned the ratchet to accamodate the extra chambers. In theory it could be done I think. Steve

Pinecone

Blackhawk
The geometry of the ratchet and hand definitely have to change to accommodate different numbers of rounds in a 360 degree cylinder. There is a "lesser" degree of movement with "more" chambers to center the chamber with the barrel. I have seen everything from 5 to 9 chambers in .22 lr revolvers in my time of gunsmithing. I presently own an Iver Johnson 8 shot revolver and High Standard 9 shot revolver. The High Standard revolver has a very interesting ratchet "configuration". Remember, with Ruger, it is all about putting products out at the "right" time to maintain their no debt/profit margin. I would imagine that a single-eight/nine is on their drawing board for a "later" production. Just speculation on my part......................Dick :wink:

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
I bought one of their cylinders to make a 32-20 cylinder for my .30 Carbine, but the holes were off enough that it couldn't be line bored (according to Alan Harton, a top gunsmith). Don't know if that'd be real critical for a .22 but if you're wanting top accuracy, it might be.
HH

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I'm ordering a 22 LR and a 22 mag tonight from midway. Midway has always been good to me on their return policy.

I'll see if I can't do a full review. I have three .22 Single Sixes here, and a 4th in my dad's if need be.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
It's only $120 for the cylinder - already reamed for the caliber of your choice.

Whoa.

Would the timing really be all that different?

Look...here's a close-up of the cylinders:

c026lg.jpg

The amount of "push" the pawl is going to do isn't going to be all that different, is it? And the key thing is, the bolt is going to stop it at the right point. From then on with the Ruger system, the pawl isn't continuously pushing on the ratchet. By the time you're ready to fire the pawl has basically gone "limp".

Huh.

I suspect it would work just fine.

tek4260

Buckeye
I don't think it will work unless the second step in the pawl is shortened, unless they did some magic with the ratchet that I can't visualize. I imagine somewhere in the directions it will call for you to shorten the second step.

Jim, while the pawl is not holding the cylinder in alignment when the hammer falls and the revolver fires, unless it is shortened, the revolver will never reach full cock.

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
the pawl moves a certain distance. its movement can be devided into steps. first is pre travel(before contacting the rachet), second is contact travel(where it pushes the rachet, and cylinder).

with an eight shot cylinder, with the rachet set up to the same degree difference from a cylinder, andsince there are eight of them the rachet steps are shorter, the pawl will move farther before coming into contact with the rachet. the contact time is then shorter, so the cylinder moves less. because the rachet is indexed to the cylinders, when the pawl stops, the cylinder is in the right place.

only one step on the hand will actually contact the rachet, as the length of the ratchets is now shorter.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Got two of them here, one magnum and one Long Rifle.

First gun - late carry up, magnum cylinder passes range rod (7/32 drill bit dropped down bore) test with 4 of the 8 chambers.
LR cylinder only passes range rod test with 2.

Second gun, carry up is fine, 3 chambers pass range rod test with LR cylinder, 2 chambers with magnum cylinder.

I'm not even gonna bother shooting them. They will be returned.

Length and B/C gap seemed good in both guns.

maxpress

Buckeye
Still think we sould show a couple of theses to Ruger 8) I would sure want one that worked.
Thanks for the review..um..warning Aggie.

Latest posts