Shotshells: who loads steel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Although I've loaded a couple hundred thousand shotshells, almost all have been lead target loads, and I've not yet become convinced I need to start in with steel shot. However, the fine folks in Sacramento may change my mind, what with their "no lead for hunting" law being phased in at this very moment.

Since I don't shoot that many waterfowl shells, I'd probably be ok with just continuing to pay outrageous prices for those loads. However, a couple of places I hunt doves are already non-lead only, and by 2019, everywhere here will be. And being a bit of a cheapskate, paying $11 for a box of dove loads when I've been loading lead for $4 or so gets my attention, and I'm curious about whether it's time to jump in.

Any experiences pro or con on handloading steel?

Rick C

jsh

Single-Sixer
I quit loading shot shells when I ran out of shot some years back. By the time I replaced my shot,wars,primers and powder, then figured in my time it wasn't worth it for me. Sold everything I had left and swapped off about 10k of hills for a large lot of powder.
I reloaded a few steel shot on a buddies set up for steel. Waterfowl, but steel none the less. They shot as good as any store bought, but for a few dollars more I could buy by the case and pretty much break even when all things were considered.
I usually hot all the big box stores after season and look for clearance stuff. Or, the preseason sales are al oat as good.
Upland game and steel I am afraid is going to go the same way as waterfowl, especially on state and federal ground.
None the less ammo makers have came a long long way with steel since the 80's.
IMHO I would sure study as much info as I could on the subject.
Maybe I am fortunate to be located where I am, as I can drive to 6-7 good sized sporting goods stores that have pretty major pre season sales.
At $11 a box for steel dove loads I feel for ya.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree with the guys above. Not worth the trouble and expense to load steel shot and very hard to even duplicate the factory load ballistics.

Latest posts