shotguns shotguns shotguns thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arky

Single-Sixer
Yes a model 90 in really good shape for a 50's gun. I then bought an 870 rem for steel shot. I still duck hunt with it

Arky

Single-Sixer
I live in the SW corner near Hope. I am from NW Ar. originally. I have a Brother and two Nephews there. Also my mother is in a nursing home in Springdale so I visit some. I really like the area but my Kids are married and settled in SW Ar. for the most part so This area is home now. I am fortunate to have a place out so that I have my own shooting range and a place to set up the Do-All and shoot clay birds with the family. Edited. Excuse my senipr moment. You said Benton and I thought Bentonville. I am 85 miles sw of Benton

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Just found an older model 870 wing master in good condition 28" plain barrel action very slick. I will pick it up next week after my hitch is up. I had been keeping my eyes open for a replacement ever since my original was stolen during a breakin.
I've several more shotguns Red Label 12 SS. Mossberg500, 870 express but nothing ever felt as good as my wing master. All my other guns have ribs on top of the barrel. Kind of funny what you get used to using and are not as happy with anything else.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bobski said:
i never did understand the lure of a straight grip. it feels like holding a broom stick.

Hi,

Have you shot 'em in the field, or just on the target range? My personal impression is they're quick and a good choice for short, fast rising field shots, like pheasants, quail or whatever birds your neighborhood has that hold a while then flush pretty much "straight up," but not so good for a pre-mounted position like normally used in American trap or skeet, or long passing shots like high flying doves or waterfowl.

AND, they've GOTTA fit. The Brits love 'em, but a lot of those guys probably spend more time getting their guns fitted properly than many of us do actually shooting ours!

Rick C

Since I carry my shotgun across my left arm, I have always found a straight stock uncomfortable to carry. The best for me is a "semi-pistol grip" or open pistol grip like classic American doubles used to have. That allows my left hand to lightly grip the shotgun at the grip cap when I'm carrying it and makes a good pivot point to rotate the gun into my right hand quickly (Obviously, I'm right handed). Guess I'm just not used to straight grips; the only one I ever tried, a Browning BSS 20 guage "Sporter," was awkward to carry. I traded it off after carrying it for a whole season.

My brother, also right handed, adapted to his straight-gripped Gold Label well. But he had never carried a shotgun before and wasn't accustomed to a pistol grip like me--I've been using one for 60+ years.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mike Armstrong said:
The best for me is a "semi-pistol grip" or open pistol grip like classic American doubles used to have.

Hi,

That's the grip all my shotguns have right now, and it works for me, too. The only one I've shot that I liked better was the "round knob" style pistol grip Browning's used now and again on their O/Us. But that MAY have been just a case of a better dimensioned grip on that particular gun relative to my hand, and the same measurements might have worked as well w/ a "conventional" semi-pistol grip? Can't say for sure...

Rick C

bobski

Hunter
just reminding you shotgun guys im having an open house at my range in mar in mo. its official.
click the link for details!
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167201

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I love bird hunting and a few years ago I did a lot. I used to dove hunt everyday of the season and also went to Nevada gamebirds a good bit. There we hunted pheasant chuccar and quail also they had a skeet range and sporting clays. I got to love the place and went 11 times in just over a year. It was great and the people were awesome the most accomadating I have ever met. I loved everything about it. Also when I left one hunt I was planning the next. I had a couple of red lables and a benelli SBE I shot most of the time. The benelli was my favorite and I usually shot around a 22 out of 25 on skeet using it but once shot a perfect 25. Carl Salb was the owner of Nevada gamebirds and he was great but had to get out of the business because of severe back problems. The business shut down for a while but has reopened. I have not been back yet but plan to go again soon. If anyone here decides to go ask for willy as your guide.

Cary

Single-Sixer
Up until about three years ago I was never interested in shotguns. I have shot, reloaded for, and cast bullets for my several revolvers and rifles for many years. My father-in-law passed away and gave to me a like new Mossberg 500C. That is the 20ga version of the 500. I bought me a clay thrower to use out in the desert and started another avenue of my gun hobby. I soon purchased me a MEC reloader for 20ga as I like to roll my own. I have also since purchased an 870 Express in 20ga as well. It is a fun challenge to break those little flying disks passing through the air. The 500C came with an extra 18" barrel and is now used for shooting creative targets with the buckshot loads I make up for it using my own cast buckshot. I'm really enjoying it as you can see. :D
Cary

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
As the user name may indicate, I like shotguns, specifically double guns. I can call myself a shotgunner from the time I was 10 years old and got a Stevens 311 in 20 ga as a present when my father and grandfather took me to eastern NC to Mattamusket on a duck/goose hunt. I got a duck and a goose. #4 lead shot from a 20ga would work well enough on close called geese in those days (especially if you had some interested older parties backing you).

Growing up in piedmont NC, we had a pretty good sized tract of farmland, as well as leases incorporating another 400 acres or so for hunting. Quail hunting was a family tradition. We planted lots of cover crops and two extra rows of corn, buckwheat, millet and milo between the main crops and the woods. It promoted good bird populations and provided many, many years of great hunting. On a good day, it was easy to put up 5 or 6 coveys. Fall dove hunting was also good.

I learned to handload shotshells on my dad's Mec600Jr when I was about 12. I have been loading shotshells ever since, branching out to handgun and rifle ammo when I started shooting those. I still handload most shotshells I use for hunting, but occasionally go with factory for some special purpose ones, like non-toxic waterfowl.

My preference is for doubleguns, specifically those with the barrels side by side, but I'm not opposed to those with the barrels mounted in a 90 degree aphasic configuration. I have a few high end euro doubles, a good collection of LC Smiths (finding great favor with them as field guns and also having a connection to them being old family favorite quail and dove guns), a few Fox and Stevens/Fox, a 20ga Win 101, a 20 ga Red Label, a english stocked Gold Label, and a few others. I consider the Browning BSS one of the finer modern doubles that is just getting discovered (meaning 'pricey') And I still have my old Stevens 20. Even an 870 Upland Special english stock 20ga and a first year 1100 in 16ga. Isn't everyone required to have an 870 or 1100? I use an old Laurona 12ga for Cowboy Action shooting (NOT cut down...that would be an abomination!). Laurona is a decent if not top end Spanish shotgun; many may not know it but they made the Winchester Model 22 shotgun (I suspect many may know of the 21, 23, and 24, but have never heard of the 22).

I like to shoot sporting clays, did so a lot a number of years ago. I also shot skeet a lot before that with a team at the research facility where I worked, a most curious skeet team for sure made up mostly of PhD chemists. And we did pretty well! But nothing is quite as good as a day afield with a good doublegun, or an old family favorite now in my care, that brings back memories of the shotgun as a gentleman's sporting arm.

Oops, forgot to post a pic of the Gold Label. This was a number of years ago, a crappy little cell phone picture of a day afield. A good flight of woodcock had arrived in central VA, and the GL and I flushed out a couple of them later in the day, unfortunately after the battery gave out. But it spoke twice. That was all that needed to be said.

RugerGL12-02-06.jpg