Sentimental Purchase: Single Six 44 Years Later

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doc540

Single-Sixer
In 1966 I worked and saved my money to buy a Single Six (against my mother's wishes, but my dad finally gave in).

My best friend had one, and together we shot thousands of rounds through them one eject/reload at a time.

All American, good, clean fun for a couple of Texas teenage kids.

Never had an accident or a close call even though we both had "fastdraw" hoslters and wore them shiny.

About six years later it was stolen from me.

So, yesterday I stumbled upon a 1960 model right here in the classifieds.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=93909

I put the cashier's check in the mail and look forward to opening an original Single Six box again 44 years later. (Not quite as excited as I was at 17 though!)

I'll post new pics when it arrives.

Quick question, I'm sure covered here many times:

It comes with the pre-converted parts. Can any competent gunsmith reinstall the original, "pre-transfer bar" parts?

Thanks!

americal

Hunter
WAY to go :!: :!: Most gunsmiths know how in my area :) plus I have a good friend than can in no time at all --gotta watch for those don't fit screwdrivers :x & letting the screwdriver slip :shock:

G2

Hunter
doc540":30jaloby said:
(Not quite as excited as I was at 17 though!

Ohhhh just wait till it arrives, You were infected years ago now here ya go fallin off the wagon. :wink:
By the way, , , It was not stolen... your mother just put it up and now she's turning over. :shock:

Yes any good gunsmith can restore it quickly. As for that matter you can do it! they are real simple, but if your all thumbs let the gunsmith do it.

I really like to hear about something like this. Having gotten my first Single-Six in 1962, I can fully appreciate your love for those. Sorry to hear about your loss . . . glad you have rectified the situation.

If you're at all handy, you can replace the parts yourself. A gunsmith can do it for you in fifteen minutes if you're not comfortable with a screwdriver.

I checked the link you provided. Looks like you got a nice one.

"Welcome back!"

:)

doc540

Single-Sixer
I'm down here on the Gulf Coast of Texas, so back then we'd just drive right outside the city limits, strap on our Rugers and start walking the rice field levees and canals drawing and plinking.

After about a year we got real fast and real good. You know how that works with a Single Six, right?

We'd swing by the house after school, get our guns, stop by 7-11 and buy three boxes of LONGS...more pop than shorts and cheaper than Long Rifles. :p

Sometimes we'd shoot three times a week.

I bet when Ruger conceived of the Single Six that's exactly what he intended them for....lots of rounds and LOTS OF FUN!

Snake45

Hawkeye
doc540":2tjg09q6 said:
I'm down here on the Gulf Coast of Texas, so back then we'd just drive right outside the city limits, strap on our Rugers and start walking the rice field levees and canals drawing and plinking.

After about a year we got real fast and real good. You know how that works with a Single Six, right?

We'd swing by the house after school, get our guns, stop by 7-11 and buy three boxes of LONGS...more pop than shorts and cheaper than Long Rifles. :p

I bet when Ruger conceived of the Single Six that's exactly what he intended them for....lots of rounds and LOTS OF FUN!
Reminds me of me ten years later, only with a Smith K-22 instead of a Single Six. Even today, I consider creekside plinking about the most fun you can have that doesn't involve somebody else's wife. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chance

Buckeye
Great story doc540. In 1967 I walked into Sears in Long Beach, ca and plunked down 37 or so bucks for a brand new Bearcat. Gun got lost somewhere along the way and I haven't had a Bearcat since. Maybe it's about time to replace it.

Look forward to the pics.

doc540

Single-Sixer
Thank for the replies.

Here's othe other part of the story:

I was SUPPOSED to get the SS for my birthday, but unbeknownst to me, my mom had vetoed the idea at the last minute.

I thought we had the deal all worked out at Oshman's Sporting Goods. I must've gone in and handled that pistol a dozen times before the big day.

My best friend called the afternoon of my Bday, and all I heard on the line was a "CLICK...CLICK..CLICK..CLICK" as he cocked the hammer on his Ruger.

"DID YOU GET IT?! LET'S GO SHOOT!", he blurted out.

I was about as disappointed as a 16 year old could get.

So, I shut down and sulked and didn't speak to my dad (who I thought was the decision maker) for about a week.

My mom finally fessed up and told me it was starting to get to my dad, and if I saved my own money I could have it.

She was thinking there's no way I'd save $78 mowning lawns and I'd cool on the idea of having a pistol.

About a month later I slapped down the money on my dad's desk and said, "LET'S GO TO OSHMAN'S!".

He was none too happy, but signed for me!

The rest, they say, is rimfire history! :D

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I still got the first gun I bought when I was a kid, Marlin Mod 60. Had more fun with it back in the day that every other gun combined since. Although I already had a 410 from a couple years earlier, my dad had a stern talk with me about rifles and how dangerous they were at long range. Paid for out of my then new addition to my coin collection: 2 rolls of new 1976 quarters and a roll of half dollars at a Target store, I remember the clerk counting out the coins one by one LOL. Paid for that gun many times over selling furs I got with it. Thanks for jarring my memory!

Mine is some what similar: 16 years old saved my $$ had a 6-1/2" NIB 22/mag 20-Prefix on layaway @ the local gun store with a leather quick draw rig.... The owner told my Dad that he was glad I bought the Gun because if I did not buy the gun he would have to put it back out in the glass case as a well used gun!! Still have it & love shooting it..

mohavesam

Hawkeye
doc540":1bz43kkn said:

- And I bet there were many afternoons when y'all would un-strap those Rugers, skin down and jump into those crystal-clear irrigation ditches, maybe the pools under the "paddy-pumps" where the water was so cold there was no chance for snakes... Then back up o the banks for a little plinking at rusty old pipes and what-have-ya. Seems everyone had a Ruger 22 of some type and our swimming holes always doubled as impromptu plinking ranges!

Nice memories, aged to perfection.

russ69

Bearcat
My very first was a nice SS Single Six but I sold it to a friend. I didn't last too long and bought another one. I'm not letting this one slip out of my fingers this time.

Thanx, Russ

Chance

Buckeye
Good thread doc540. It got me motivated to get another Bearcat after all these years. The wife spotted a 1965 gun, 5465x at the gun show in Prescott, Az Sat and now it lives in our safe.

doc540

Single-Sixer
Arrived today....WOW

Thank you, psypanop!

I got the fever...now I'm looking for a 4 5/8" barrel model. :eek:

DSCN2775-1.jpg

DSCN2777-1.jpg

DSCN2771-1.jpg