Selling Ammunition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pierow

Blackhawk
I went to a gun shop to sell some ammunition, Winchester 45acp 100-round boxes which go for about 60 bucks. They offered me 20 bucks a box. Is this typical? Do folks at gun shows buy ammunition and if so, are their offers better? Any insight would be appreciated.

Pierow

I went to a gun shop to sell some ammunition, Winchester 45acp 100-round boxes which go for about 60 bucks. They offered me 20 bucks a box. Is this typical? Do folks at gun shows buy ammunition and if so, are their offers better? Any insight would be appreciated.

Pierow

In my experience, it depends on the market, AND on who's looking to buy. When I lived in Arizona, a lot of gun shops would pay 50% of what something was worth (hoping to make 100% profit). My favorite LGS offered more than that, and closer to 75-80% if you were willing to trade for something. But I think you might get more if there's a shortage of what you're selling, and all bets are off if there's a glut on the market.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc.
:)

Enigma

Hunter
The OP will get a much better price selling direct to the end user, rather than to someone trying to resell the ammo. Is there a local online forum that he can advertise on? We have Texas Gun Talk here, and then there's also Texas Gun Trader (ahem...).

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
In my experience, it depends on the market, AND on who's looking to buy. When I lived in Arizona, a lot of gun shops would pay 50% of what something was worth (hoping to make 100% profit). My favorite LGS offered more than that, and closer to 75-80% if you were willing to trade for something. But I think you might get more if there's a shortage of what you're selling, and all bets are off if there's a glut on the market.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc.
:)
This .

epags

Single-Sixer
Not in California......liability laws prevent gun stores to even take back ammo (you might have bought by mistake) once it leaves the premises, let alone buy ammo of unknown quality....how would they know it hadn't been reloaded?
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Pierow
downtown Chicago should yield a much higher price LOL

contender

Ruger Guru
That gun shop was offering too little.

Yes,, they are in business. Yes,, they can buy wholesale. But 1/3rd the normal rate is well below what they should offer.

I see people buying ammo at gun shows when the prices are reasonable. If it normally sells for $60 a box,, then asking $45 a box will get it sold usually quite quickly.

s4s4u

Hunter
You will never get value from a store. If you want to get a good price advertise it on the bulletin board of your range or on local message boards. Stores have to resell, which drives your price down.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Just like the pawn shop expect 1/2 or less. If the boxes present like new he would have sold what he paid 20 for, fot about 50 to maybe 60 best case scenario. Not ripping you off, he's got a retirement account, heat and water bill, employee etc. You can do much better finding a buyer yourself. Just hang around and mention you have such a thing or buy a table at a gun show.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Whatever. I'm sorry I even opened my mouth.
Don't be sorry. You're right. I just checked Ammoseek. Winchester 230gr WWB in 100 ct. boxes. Cheapest is 43cpr NOT including shipping. With shipping, none of the retailers list this ammo under 50cpr.

OP, the shop was attempting to rip you off. They would've doubled their money or more.

37cpr for WWB is close to precovid price. You won't find it at that price now.

Latest posts