Sealing you ammo for wet weather

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
I've used red, but not the clear.
A drop is too much for sealing the primer but it's easy to wipe away the excess.

Here lately (meaning for the past 2 years), I've been using a red paint-pen to color the primers on the buck-shot rounds that I keep in the holder on my butt stock so's I can tell it from the #6 shot which is in the same holder.
That works perty-good too.

I routinely re-lube the lead bullets used in my handloads with Alox, so I figure that between that and the factory crayon lube in the groove(s), there aint much danger of water getting to the powder, even in a blinding rain storm.
No idea of how to seal a jacketed bullet.

Hope this helps.

DGW

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Years ago I used to use red nail polish but I quit sealing primers. When I learned about reloading (early 80s) while stationed in Florida I was taught to seal primers. But as time went on and meeting with other reloaders found it wasn't really necessary.

The only thing I do now is use a Sharpie to mark my ammo; blue-factory, red-reload, and black for brass I'm not going to reload again.

Flash

Buckeye
AGE Ranger said:
Years ago I used to use red nail polish but I quit sealing primers. When I learned about reloading (early 80s) while stationed in Florida I was taught to seal primers. But as time went on and meeting with other reloaders found it wasn't really necessary.

The only thing I do now is use a Sharpie to mark my ammo; blue-factory, red-reload, and black for brass I'm not going to reload again.

Ditto, water would have to be pressurized to migrate past a primer. Mil Spec ammo is sealed as a general standard but as a rule, I don't scuba dive when I'm hunting.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
No, I do not want to go SCUBA diving with my ammo, only in wet, rainy, snowy weather. But Hmmmmmm, what if I did lose my ammo in that famous Canoe misshap? :lol: ......................................

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Flash said:
Ditto, water would have to be pressurized to migrate past a primer. Mil Spec ammo is sealed as a general standard but as a rule, I don't scuba dive when I'm hunting.
I don't scuba while hunting either. But have gotten wet while hunting in Idaho and several times in Michigan's UP. Some of those bogs/swamps are deceiving. Oh yah, and darn right cold.

If you have your famous "Canoe" mishap; my guess if the ammo is retrived ratherly quickly it'll be good. :lol:

Maybe one of these years I'll thrown 12 - '06 rounds in a fish tank and take one out a month to pull apart and inspect.

WYO1

Bearcat
While 4 wheeling in Aug. I came across 15 factory .270 loads neatly piled in a two track slot. I could see the remains of the factory box and the rounds were stacked just like they would have been in the box. I would imagine that some hunter last fall loaded his rifle and left the rest of the box on his vehicle, where it rattled off somewhere along the way. I would also imagine it had layed there for the better part of a year, thru snow rain and the blazing sun. The brass was tarnished, but I wiped them off and shot them all thru my 270. They all fired and shot a group of about 3in. at 200 yds. I don't seal my reloads either.

stevemb

Hunter
If I were to hunt in Alaska say, or the Pacific NW, I'd seal. If I were going on a multi-day pack trip in Montana I'd seal. Waterfowler ? I'd seal. Why not ? It's not that much trouble. Otherwise, I agree, plinking ammo, hunting places were I'll be to home or camp each night, naw.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Chief_10Beers said:
No, I do not want to go SCUBA diving with my ammo, only in wet, rainy, snowy weather. But Hmmmmmm, what if I did lose my ammo in that famous Canoe misshap? :lol: ......................................

Hi,

Chief, I'm not a canoeist, but isn't that what they make "dry bags" for?

Rick C

Slenk

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
If I were to hunt in Alaska say, or the Pacific NW, I'd seal. If I were going on a multi-day pack trip in Montana I'd seal. Waterfowler ? I'd seal. Why not ? It's not that much trouble. Otherwise, I agree, plinking ammo, hunting places were I'll be to home or camp each night, naw.

I live in the PNW , in my 60+ years of hunting I have never seen the need to seal ammo. I have hunted all over the state of Washington . And some in Oregon. Also gathered cattle in N.Idaho when it was pouring down rain. Packing a shooter just in case.

stevemb

Hunter
Slenk, i'll defer to your yrs of experience in that habitat. Me ? I've had to call AAA too many times. I believe in spare tires, first-aid kits, and if I anticipate multiple days of rain/wet, and away from home, I'll consider sealing primers too. I prefer not to gamble here.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Different strokes for different folk I guess. not saying not to do it , just never have. And had no problems.

cadillo

Blackhawk
DixieBoy said:
Had a friend who used to use a powerhead for spearing big groupers and also shark protection back before
Florida made it illegal to use powerheads to take grouper. He used a .44 Magnum caliber powerhead and used
to coat the primer and where the Jacketed Soft Point slug met the case mouth with clear nail polish. Of course
his "chamber" dimensions in the powerhead were generous compared to most firearms.

Once we pulled some of his bullets that had been down to 60 feet a few times, just to inspect them.
Powder was perfectly dry. - DixieBoy

I'm just curious. Have you ever asked your friend what it sounds like firing a .44 mag cartridge when both he and it are under water together?