Scratch Removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dolfans

Bearcat
Hello everyone! I am the new proud owner of a GP 100 with 6 inch barrel. This gun belonged to my father in-law and I inherited it after he passed away. The gun is in very good condition. It has some minor scratches in a couple of areas and wanted some help on what to use to try and buff them out.

revhigh

Hawkeye
If it's stainless, you can try varying grits of scotch brite pads and compounds. You can use a heavy one to remove the scratch, then 'blend' it in with the less aggressive pads until it matches. Keep in mind, NOTHING can fix a badly scratched gun that has had material actually displaced or removed, other than grinding or sanding. It's certainly worth a try in any case.

Good luck.

REV

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Dolfans, Welcome to the forum. Is the gun blued or stainless? It will make a difference as to what to use and how vigorous to use it. How about some pics of your gun? I often give different advice for "scratches" according to how the gun is going to be used. If you want it as a show piece, then removing the scratches would be prudent. However, if it's going to be used as a "working" gun, I would'nt bother myself with removing them! All my guns are "working" guns so I don't get too worked up over appearances. I'm more concerned with a "clean" gun that functions "properly"! Remove a "scratch" and the next time you use the gun, another appears!.......................Dick :wink:

Dolfans

Bearcat
I guess that would have helped. The gun is stainless. The scratches are just very light. I will post some photo's of the gun. I have never owned a Ruger before but am hooked. I cleaned the gun last night. I don't think the grips were ever taken off.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Go with green, then white ScotchBrite pads. If you want a more polished look, Turtle Wax Chrome Polish works well on stainless. If you really want to go nuts with polishing check out Simichrome or Flitz.

-- Sam

Dolfans

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips. I got most of them out. I just buffed it with mohters metal polish. Check this out.

Gunphotos022.jpg

DonD":2yl7ir2t said:
Looks like you have yourself a winner. Looks NIB and assuming the bore and interior lockworks are similar, you have a lifetime of enjoyment ahead of you. Don

How do you enjoy it, now that it's polished, and you can never use it? :wink:

WAYNO.

Dolfans

Bearcat
I have not shot it yet. I am hoping to get to the range soon with. From what I have been reading on these forums I can't wait. I have a Glock 45 cal. model 30 and a Glock 23 40cal. I don't shoot revolvers and haven't in many years so I am looking forward to it.