Scope For A Ruger 10-22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
what is a decent scope for my 10-22? i don't know the FIRST thing about scopes..nada, nothing at all.

i'm not looking to spend a bunch..$100 - $150

i don't mind paying for something that will last over something cheaper i will have to replace in a few years. having said that, all i'm doing is plinking around.

will i need to buy the scope mounts, etc? from what little research i've done, the net boys say the scope base that comes with the 10-22 is crap.

any help would be appreciated

ten22

Single-Sixer
You might take a look at the mueller APV, well spoken of on rimfire central. Don't have first hand knowledge though, my 10/22 plinker scope cost 3x the gun :D

JTGant

Bearcat
I have had very good performance out of the Simmons Rimfire 3-9x32....about $50 from Optics Planet

BlkHawk73

Hunter
You'll need rings for any scope worth it's price. For a budget one, I use a Simmons but for something a bit better, the Mueller. Usually I'll use Burris rings but any 1" Weaver style would be fine - just pick your preferred style. Avoid the tipoff rimfire style - the kind that usually are supplied with the rimfire scopes. For Mueller, I buy from JoeBob's, for Simmons, usually Midway.
You can use the standard Weaver mount that about everyone offer for the 10/22. Go with a one piece. Be careful to NOT over tighten the mounting screws (steel screws in an aluminum receiver = easy to strip threads if over tightened) A tiny amount of nail polish on the threads will keep things in place.

I like the 3-9x platform.... 3 power is better for quick sight selection and at 50 yards the 9 power will allow you to see where you hit on paper....

you should be able to get a pretty good scope in the price range you mentioned.... Nikon is know for their optics... I might go that way.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a Nikon as well and it too is a nice scope. 3-9x is probably the standard most go with as it covers all the bases. Nothing wrong with a good fixed power either.

For squirrel hunting I like the Bushnell scopes with the circle-X reticles. They are quick to use. I usually use a straight 4x or a 1.5x 4 power.

For my Charger 10/22 I mostly use a red dot for plinking and squirrel hunting.

For paper shooting I have 3x9's and on one a 6x18.

For all round the 3x9 is probably a winner.

I like Bushnell and Nikon for a decent scope at a decent price.

Gumby

Bearcat
Sightron SI

And it is a Rimfire Scope

http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?dimensionids=4294845946&statuses=Available&statuses=In+Stock&statuses=Backorder+OK&statuses=Special+Order&statuses=Not+Available&statuses=No+Backorder&statuses=Coming+Soon&statuses=Other&minPrice=&maxPrice=&userSearchQuery=&sortBy=1&itemsPerPage=20&PreviousCategoryDimensionId=11509&promotionId=

I have one, and it compares favorable with my rimfire Leupold VX-I and Nikon Prostaff scopes. The Sightron adjusts from 3 to 9 magnification while most small (28 to 35mm diameter objective) scopes are only 2x7 magnification in this price range. One other thing to note about this scope is that it has a very fine reticle. You might like that, or may not

If you want small scope for your 10/22, this would be something to consider. From time to time I've seen them for $119 on sale. so shop around.

Gumby

mishtub

Blackhawk
I use a cheap Tasco red dot for plinking/100meter silhouette, squirrel, rabbit, general varmit around the barn shooting.

I just mounted a Sightron shotgun/muzzleloader 2.5x32(50 yard parallax) on one of my 10/22 rifles last week. It is so clear and precise I didn't miss the lack of magnification. For a hunting 22, I think it's just about right. I bought this scope from an internet auction for $50 NIB so I think I got a real deal.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
ten22 said:
You might take a look at the mueller APV, well spoken of on rimfire central. Don't have first hand knowledge though, my 10/22 plinker scope cost 3x the gun :D
+1 on all this. Don't have one myself but have read many, many positive things about them from those who do.

I CAN recommend the Simmons "22 Mag" 3x-9x 32mm AO. It's also a lovely, lovely scope for about $75. I'll gladly buy another next time I need a .22 scope.

Whatever you get, make sure you get adjustable objective. This is absolutely critical for getting the most out of a .22.

exavid

Hunter
I use a 2moa red dot on my 10/22. It does the job fine even with my old eyes out to 100yds which is about all a .22 is really good for. The addition of a Volquartsen trigger assembly did more for the rifle than any scope could. These things just keep growing, now I'm considering a new barrel, pretty soon there won't be much Ruger left.

lee sherman

Bearcat
I have two Ruger 10/22 rifles. Both have scopes. The first two scopes were Barska Plinkers. After say nine months of occasional shooting they both fell out of zero. They had minds of their own. UGH!! I returned them both to Barska for warranty. They sent me two more new scopes. After only six months one has already lost it's zero just like the others. I've since moved on to Simmons scopes. Barskas customer service was great, but their scopes were junk! Sorry Barska, I tried!!

BigMac

Bearcat
I use a Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff Rimfire with BDC on my VLEH. I really like the BDC with Nikon's Spot-On iPhone app. I've found it to be very accurate in terms of puzzling out the range of the BDC ticks for specific ammo at different ranges and scope power. Very easy and quick to use.

ruger1022s.jpg

Bob G

Single-Sixer
exavid said:
I use a 2moa red dot on my 10/22. It does the job fine even with my old eyes out to 100yds which is about all a .22 is really good for. The addition of a Volquartsen trigger assembly did more for the rifle than any scope could. These things just keep growing, now I'm considering a new barrel, pretty soon there won't be much Ruger left.

Ditto on red-dot.

I have Bushnell Red-Dots on two 10/22's, and like them very much. I have a Bausch and Lomb Elite 3200 on my 10/22 magnum, and like it as well. But for fast sight acquisition, I much prefer the red-dots, and they keep me in a small space out to 100 yards. So far, I've been happy with the Bushnells.
10-22002.jpg

10-22003.jpg

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
Ditto to Snake45 and other posts on the Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire Scopes, I have 3 of them.

2 of them are the 22 Mags with the adjustible objectives (one is an older model, slimmer and trimmer than the new style)
and I also have one of them in non AO style. If you are not shooting in rimfire benchrest competition these will do nicely.

Grizzly1

Bearcat
Just picked up a Vortex Crossfire fixed 4, nice bright glass and a no fault, transferable lifetime warranty to protect my $65 investment (grin). Seriously though, this is a good scope for not alot of $$, it also is offered in both the Crossfire and Diamondback line in the 2-7x variable. Worth checking out.