Scales

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Here is a set of scales. Would you say they will weigh powder down to 5 or 6 gr. They are so cheap but then I'm busted for awhile.
I have a hard time trusting cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240111_145352_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240111_145352_Chrome.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Could someone here do a simple test for me. Hopefully you have some unique powder. All I want to know is if you measure 8 gr. Of unique on digital or balance beam and then pour that into a 45 colt case how far does it fill the case?

Last edited:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
If you have electronic scales,, don't use them under fluorescent lights. They will act up.

My bench has small fluorescent cubicle lights under the cabinet, right above the scale and it doesn't give me any issues...

...but maybe that's because I use a scrounged precision lab balance for a reloading scale:
0206011735.jpg

I have more issues with air movement than the lights...hence the glass doors.

These particular "helpers" are gone and I haven't done any loading to see how "helpful" the "new generation" boys are...

I do have an RCBS electronic powder scale stashed away, but it always seemed to be slightly off, but maybe I was too fussy, since I'm used to the balance's precision. May have to dig it up and check it out again.

Aqualung

contender

Ruger Guru
"Could someone here do a simple test for me. Hopefully you have some unique powder. All I want to know is if you measure 8 gr. Of unique on digital or balance beam and then pour that into a 45 colt case how far does it fill the case?'

Ok, I managed to do a bit of measuring.
I took an empty case, using calipers for all measurements.
OAL of the empty case; 1.294
Internal depth of empty case; 1.118.
Added 8.0 grns of Unique.
Depth from case mouth to top of powder; .720 approximately. (powder can shift a little or depth stem can be a tiny bit off.)
So, 8.0 grns of Unique filled up approximately .398 of the case. Of you round it off,, (remembering that the stem could have been off a tiny bit,) you get a fill of .400 in round numbers.

s4s4u

Hunter
Here is a set of scales. Would you say they will weigh powder down to 5 or 6 gr. They are so cheap but then I'm busted for awhile.
I have a hard time trusting cheap.
Cheap digital scales aren't reliable. You would be better off with a set of Lee spoons.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
OP was the question to determine if you could double / overcharge without being aware of it visually? or to see if you can tell it's not a squib?

crow#2

Single-Sixer
just checking a dipper it seemed like a really small amount. Dipper is good and thinking back some of my 44mag loads years ago looked awfully small amount also. All is well.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
just checking a dipper it seemed like a really small amount. Dipper is good and thinking back some of my 44mag loads years ago looked awfully small amount also. All is well.
Ah, dippers work pretty good if you're filling them consistently. I still use them on occasion.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Anyone weighing powder with any sort of scale should have a set of check weights. In 10 seconds at the start of a session you can verify your scale.