Ruger sfar 308 problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gagemathew55

Bearcat
I have a new ruger sfar that I put 20 rounds thru and it ejects and loads perfectly but acts as a single shot and after each shot I got to cock it to get the trigger engaged any help would be appreciated, thanks

NikA

Buckeye
Standard AR-type trigger I'd guess. There are a normal series of function checks to debug this.

Separate the upper from the lower and manipulate the hammer directly:
Does holding the trigger back and pushing the hammer back allow the disconnector to catch the hammer?
Does releasing the trigger once the hammer is caught by the disconnector allow the sear to catch the hammer?

My guess without seeing anything is that the disconnector is not catching the hammer, either due to the wrong geometry or the bolt not pushing the hammer down far enough.

I would take the issue up with Ruger once you debug with function checks.

hittman

Staff member
Isn't setting 3 the one for single shot?
I think I started mine on 2, put 100 or more rounds through it and frankly, it works fine so have never changed it.

And if you "Search" there's several other threads on these guns that may have info to help you.

Welcome to the forum.

hittman

Staff member

hittman

Staff member
Yep, I read the owners manual again.
I'd give it a thorough cleaning and try a different brand of ammo.
PMC worked great in mine.

"after each shot I got to cock it to get the trigger engaged"
This is a different issue than the bolt cycling. Is the bolt cycling at all after firing or stays locked? This most likely related to the gas block as many have had issues with.
Is the bolt cycling but not cocking the hammer? This may also be related to the same problem. If the bolt is not fully cycling, it may not move far enough to cock the hammer (engage the trigger).
As mentioned, there's an entire start up procedure that should be followed with any/all AR type firearms.

Latest posts