Ruger Security 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
Springfield XD-E

What I like about that gun is that you can carry it cocked-and-locked or decocked. This new Ruger would seem to be similar to a cocked-and-locked ap with the LCP trigger system, no?

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Here is my question : If this is a hammer fired gun , then is it double action first then single action like normal DA/SA guns like the Beretta 92 or the old Ruger P-Series ? No one yet has said anything about it.

Mike J

Hunter
From what I read in the O.P. I believe it is Single Action. The description said it feels like a good striker fired trigger. The Ruger American Pistol is also Single Action. I think the hammer would be pre-cocked. This is probably why it has a thumb safety. Of course I could be wrong.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mike J said:
This is probably why it has a thumb safety. Of course I could be wrong.
No, the thumb safety is just to meet legal requirements for sale in some states requiring a manual safety. It's nice but not essential. The trigger blade and hammer block are the major internal and passive safeties.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
This is interesting.

Interesting, because as Ruger desperately attempts to encroach on Glock's near monopoly, they're releasing new plastic guns, when the previous ones still could cover the market just fine, if they somehow could overcome their lack of acceptance.

Well, lots of folks think Glock is the handgun giant in the market. Truth is, they are not.

Looking at the stats for 2016, the number one is Smith with over 1.26 million. Number two is Ruger with just over a million. Glock is number three with a tad over a quarter million.

If Ruger is looking to encroach on anyone's territory, it is Smith.

FWIW, in 2016 the number one US manufacturer of both long and short guns was Ruger.

source:https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/04/can-you-guess-the-biggest-gunmaker-in-the-us.aspx

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
djw54 said:
Quick look at the various spec sheets, in height and length, this is smack dab in between the Ruger American and RAP compact (and exactly the same as the M&P 2.0 Compact). 15 round capacity. Just barely over 1" thick (1.02"), compared to, for example, 1.27" for the SR9 and 1.05" for the RAP.

So, it's thin, has 15-round capacity, and is in between the full size and (sub)compact.

It's a Ruger 19. Just the right size.

Edited again to add: The MSRP on this thing is $379!! Street price is going to be what, then? Certainly sub-$300. With 9E's at CDNN for $249 this weekend, how low can they go?

You made a slight error in the information you pulled from Ruger's website.

You are correct with the slide width of the Security 9 (1.02") and the RAP (1.05), but the width you gave for the SR9 is the widest part of the gun (including frame). The Ruger SR9 slide width is not posted on Ruger's page, but it is 0.92".

Quiet a bit slimmer than both the Security 9 and RAP 9.

I believe that the Ruger Security 9 is designed to compete against the Smith & Wesson SD9 market but edge it out with it's Glock 19 size.

Charlie

JSwenson

Bearcat
I have a RAPC9 and want to get a RAP9 to go with it, but this new RS9 has the exact specifications I want, except for the aluminum chassis. The aluminum rails on the RS9 can't be as strong as the RAP's steel, but I have never had a Ruger fail me. Does anyone have any experience with a high round count light weight 1911 Commander?

TxGun

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
WAYNO said:
This is interesting.

Interesting, because as Ruger desperately attempts to encroach on Glock's near monopoly, they're releasing new plastic guns, when the previous ones still could cover the market just fine, if they somehow could overcome their lack of acceptance.

Well, lots of folks think Glock is the handgun giant in the market. Truth is, they are not.

Looking at the stats for 2016, the number one is Smith with over 1.26 million. Number two is Ruger with just over a million. Glock is number three with a tad over a quarter million.

If Ruger is looking to encroach on anyone's territory, it is Smith.

FWIW, in 2016 the number one US manufacturer of both long and short guns was Ruger.

source:https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/04/can-you-guess-the-biggest-gunmaker-in-the-us.aspx

Might be wrong, but I'm 'pretty sure' the stats in the article are in reference to U.S.-made guns only. If that's the case, obviously the numbers would look much different if the foreign handgun production of Glock, and many other manufacturers, were to be included. Now..that's not to say that S&W and Ruger (and probably Remington) would not be in contention for the overall firearms manufacturing lead, just that handgun production stats, especially, would look different. For instance, Shooting Industry magazine reports that in 2016: 1,321,536 guns were imported from Austria, 711,708 from Brazil, & 574,486 from Croatia. Those were the top 3. Which rings true because just about any gunshop or gunshow inventory reflects the huge amount of guns coming from those countries...Glock, Taurus, and XD guns are everywhere! . source: https://shootingindustry.com/u-s-firearms-industry-2017

mac66

Single-Sixer
Here's a short review on the S9

https://www.realguns.com/articles/981.htm/

djw54

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro said:
djw54 said:
Quick look at the various spec sheets, in height and length, this is smack dab in between the Ruger American and RAP compact (and exactly the same as the M&P 2.0 Compact). 15 round capacity. Just barely over 1" thick (1.02"), compared to, for example, 1.27" for the SR9 and 1.05" for the RAP.

So, it's thin, has 15-round capacity, and is in between the full size and (sub)compact.

It's a Ruger 19. Just the right size.

Edited again to add: The MSRP on this thing is $379!! Street price is going to be what, then? Certainly sub-$300. With 9E's at CDNN for $249 this weekend, how low can they go?

You made a slight error in the information you pulled from Ruger's website.

You are correct with the slide width of the Security 9 (1.02") and the RAP (1.05), but the width you gave for the SR9 is the widest part of the gun (including frame). The Ruger SR9 slide width is not posted on Ruger's page, but it is 0.92".

Quiet a bit slimmer than both the Security 9 and RAP 9.

I believe that the Ruger Security 9 is designed to compete against the Smith & Wesson SD9 market but edge it out with it's Glock 19 size.

Charlie

Charlie,
Thanks for picking that up. I thought something about those measurements seemed off.

Has anybody handle one of these yet? It would sure be a nice surprise if some of our other mags fit this new pistol, although I'm sure Ruger would have said so by now. They have not.

Edited to add: Although, the new PC carbine uses a signal magazine adapter for both the SR9 magazine and the S9

eagore1975

Bearcat
I handled one Thursday at my LGS, he jad just received a EC9S and the security 9 that morning and hadn't even unboxed them yet for display so I got to be the first to check them out, the EC9S came home with me. But the trigger felt good on the security 9 as well, I would call it the typical compact size much similar in size to my sig p320C and other compacts. the one thing I wasn't big on was that at least unloaded anyway that the slide to frame seemed a little "rattley" or still had some play but still seemed to function just fine. felt fine in my hands too anyway and was a hard contender due to the $310 price tag to take home but the EC9S won out at $245 and hopefully filled my itch for a LC9S even though I have 2 other guns in the same category (pf9 and shield) and couldn't justify to myself the extra cost of the LC9s

JSwenson

Bearcat
Got my Security 9 yesterday. Was cold so only fired about 30 rounds. Trigger is long, but glass smooth. Out of the box I grouped better with it than I do with my RAPC9.

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
I have one on the way. Should be here by Saturday. If I looked at the magazine correctly, on RealGuns.com, I believe SR9 17round magazines will be able to work in the new Security 9. I will find out when I receive mine.

Blackjack10

Bearcat
Picked my S9 up at the LGS yesterday as soon as they came in. Haven't fired it yet--a little nippy around here. The fit and finish look great and the feel is excellent to my hand, but it's clearly stripped down to keep cost low. Sights are clear and easy to see. I've liked the RAP9 and RAP 9C in the past but don't have either just now. Action and trigger are quite good. I've recently acquired and fired the M&P 2.0 and the EC9S, both of which are supposed to have good triggers. The S9 trigger is every bit as acceptable.

Mine was $309 plus tax which makes it a winner over the M&P 2.0 Compact I was looking at. Mags are not the same as the RAPs but may well be same as SR9--I haven't tried an SR9 mag in the S9, just read that somewhere.

Looks like this will be an inexpensive but good pistol for home defense and carry. I think Ruger's got a winner here that could cut into the S&W domination as mentioned above.

vaguru

Bearcat
Got to handle a Security 9 today. I felt really good in my hand, trigger was nice. Watched hammer as trigger was pulled, same setup as LCP II. Nearly fully cocked by slide but still finishes rearward travel with trigger pull before release. Finish on slide was what looked like a deep sand blast then oxide coated. Real black, but looked rough to me.

I did see the EC9s also, and it had the same finish on the slide.

LGS was very proud of both, only had buy price down $10 from MSRP on them. There are other LGS.

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
Got my Sec9 yesterday. Gunbroker purchase, Keely Arms of Ohio 305.00 Shipped. Local FFL 25.00 transfer.

Initial thoughts pre shooting.

I like the size, I like the grip. Feels good in the hand. Nice balance for me. I like the way it looks. Definitely built by Ruger with the CC crowd in mind.

Sights: I think the design and execution are good. Is nice that to change colors the cost is not prohibitive. I am thinking red front with white outline in back as most of my others are red front and blacked out dots in the rear. What I am used to. Durability yet to be seen.

Slide finish: A solid improvement over the SR9e. Appears to be a duracoat of some kind. We will see how it holds up but I really don't care at this price point.

Barrel: The barrel on this model does not have the mass I am used to from Ruger. We shall see how it holds up. I am more concerned about the recoil spring and guide rod.

Frame Insert: Hardened aluminum. Looks like a very good piece of build. I have read some concern that this is aluminum and not steel. I see no problem. I think if you wear this out you have put a lot of rounds down range.

Trigger pull: I am impressed. I like the way this is set up. Regardless of what others call it I call it a single action. My copy is smooth. Repeated trigger pulls by my gauge put it right at 5 lbs consistently and zero roughness.

Take down: Easy peasy. I can remove the pin with a thumbnail. I have read some relate they think the pin is not large enough. We shall see but I don't think I'll see it break.

Slide Stop: That is what it is. A stop not a release. This pistol meant to have a slingshot type release. I have read some criticism of this too.

Safety: I can take it or leave it as to need. I don't see this pistol as any different than a non manual safety Glock, SR9, American etc. Hard to put on? Yes. I personally don't care. If I put it on for holstering it is a purposeful action. It swipes off easily. Now that is what counts. When it comes out of the holster your thumb will be able to swipe it off easily. No sharp corners. Anyone remember the original BHP razor blade safety?

Mag release: Yahoo it is metal. It has a smooth surface but it works. I see no issue. Same pattern of build as a SCCY. Right hand only. Sorry Lefties IDC. I can hold it in my left hand and release the mag with my index finger. People did this with 1911's long before ambi was a big thing. I'm pretty sure Ruger did a cost benefit and found that ambi control cost more than they are ever actually used.

Dust cover with PIC: Ruger's best to date. Doesn't look like an afterthought to me. I have always thought the other Ruger models look like "oh, yea, we need to put a pic space in for a light. BTW I'll never use this feature. Never have.

Magazine: nicely made. 2 of them. The PCC will be able to utilize the Sec9, SR magazines in the same well. This because of the vertical cut on face of the magazine as that is where the SR series locks the mag in. Both the SR and the Sec9 mag have this cut so will work with the carbine in the same well. The SR mag will not work in the Sec9 because there is a horizontal cut on the right side front of the magazine where the Sec9 locks in place. The 17 round SR mag may be modified to work in the Sec9. I may or may not try this. The Sec9 15 round mag should work in a SR9C. I don't have one to try.

Overall? If this pistol shoots as good for me as I hope. If it covers the 3R's (reliable, reliable, reliable) it will become my CC gun. To me is the best sized Ruger pistol to come down the pipe. I normally carry a P95 because it shoots well for me and the 3R's. I also shoot the SR9e. It shoots well but I need to run some more rounds through it to satisfy the 3R's.

The above are just my honest opinions and add 5 bucks might buy you a barista made coffee.

Latest posts